What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Photoshop Expertise!

MoRRiSoN

Hello,
I recently started to construct a layout for my Gaming Organization online. Anywas, Its Called Aero Phalanx(Phalanx meaning clan) and Aero...Well...Just sounds cool I guess. Anyways, Im having problems figuring out something that is creative for the banner. I have the main background, But I need some text to pretty much symbolize my clan/site.

If any of you could help me out, it would be great. I have sadly run out of ideas:(.

The Text should Read Aero Phalanx Online Gaming Headquarters/ Or something to that respect. Help will be greatly appretiated. :perfect:

Image Below(To big to put as an attachment)
mainbanner.jpg

Welcome to the community MoRRiSoN. Hope you enjoy your stay. :perfect:

First off i have to ask... are you planning on using this exact image for you site? Because if you are, you may not like the results you and perhaps some of your mates will get. That file size is entirely too large to be practical. Optimize it and save it as a Jpg. Start with a MED compression setting. That should help alot.
And in fact... because you're using only one shade of colour... try saving it as a GIF also, and set the palette size to 32 colours to start with. Plus "Dithering". If you see a little graininess, bump it up to 64 colours, etc etc...

As for the banner type ideas... we have to know exactly what type of game your clan is playing. The text can very easily portray the mood, or ombience of the game and related to your clan. But without this info, all we can offer is some hit'n'miss text effects ideas. ;)

Thanks for the Reply! I'll be sure to decrease the file size on this banner before putting it on the website :perfect: .

My Gaming Organization basically is playing JK2(Jedi Knight II:Jedi Outcast) and on release JK3(Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy). These are both Star Wars related games. And im guessing that everyone here is famillar with star wars;). If not you can visit the offical site at www.starwars.com .

For this website, I planned on making the banner look "new age" or "techno", but as I said, I ran out of ideas fast:(. I messed around with some fonts, but none of them seemed to look exactly right.

Once again, thanks for the reply theKeeper!

Welcome aboard MoRRiSoN! :)

Your banner (apart from file size) 'looks cool', thus far! :perfect:

I'm not a 'gamer' so I'm not about to offer up any font or font technique suggestions, but I'm sure that now that you've described your site a little better, you'll be hearing from same game enthusiasts around here! ;)

In the meantime, enjoy your stay here! :D

Ok so i got a little "over involved" in this idea. DOH! [doh] ;\

Couple points for ideas here...

1) It's Star Wars... get some 'stars' in the image.
2) Turned your bg into nebula/galaxies, etc...
3) Darked the frame and image to enhance the visual effect and draw more attention to the site name.
4) Created a couple "basic" looking "Death Stars". Just to give the 'impression'. Don't have to be real detailed.
5) Added a small planet, and a bright star, and some needed colour.
6) Grunged up the name. That effect could be reduced/simplified if need be.

Oh and ah... you can have this source PSD file if you like.
In fact, you can have this as-is if ya like it. ;)

My idea:

? Faded ship with blured lens flare and lighting effects
? Cool ?pixel? text, 2 kinds> both look alike. Name in Caps, the motto,
? Water ripple effect
? Pipes to make it oh so futuristic :D
? Arrows for design, and button at top left-hand corner
? Ship that I made, can keep. (I could always take the ship out).
I know Mark?s banner is better and probably more appealing, but its worth a try, and it was fun! Now you have a decision between the two. I hope you like one or the other - Alistair
3[

WOW!!!! Thanks folks! I really appretiate your expertise:). Ill be sure to use one of those two(which will be a secret) until my site release:). Thank you for your help!!!

Alistair ... I like that ...

[saywhat] Fabulous work Mark & Alistair! :} :}

And, Alistair... cool "signature"! B7

Nice work guys!!! :D :perfect: :perfect: I was wondering how you do that text effect mark. It's nice. The Epcot spheres are nice also. How'd you do them? Sorry I'm a pain. I just wanted to know. :D :D :rofl: B7

Ty guys. Mark, I think yours is really cool and I didn't really want to "compete" or anything, even though a bit of competition is a good practice. I decided to give it a try because of a few things I jnoticed in your banner:
>It has a star wars effect, very cool, but in my oppinion its a bit to busy.
>Your text doesnt match the border or background (btw, you have a tutorial for that text?)
>and thats about all!
Its very nice and probably more appealing than mine. But I thought, I would keep his origional colour, its all good. Nice work... competitor :D :perfect: :perfect:

hehe well actually Alistair it's not really a competition persay. Morrison just asked for ideas. And i simply got a bit too over zealous about it. :)

You points are well taken, but let me explain...

1) Busy... yes it's a bit busy... but i needed to include as many "ideas" in that small space as i could. Plus... in online gaming, 'busy' can be associated with 'excitement'. A sense of motion, aggrevation, movement.

2) The type effect doesn't really have to match the background. That would in fact make the type get "lost" in the background. The name and other type elements are more important than the sum of the whole image, and as such should stand out from the other elements in the image. (banner ad design 101) [excited]

Besides that... "eye candy" has a way of attracting attention. Which is what it was intended to do. ;)

That's all! :D

Good observations though Alistair. Keep it up. :perfect:

:D Apart from your great WOW (Words of Wisdom) Mark, I just have to comment on your new avatar!

:perfect: B7 :rofl: I love it! ;)

Nice work there yourself, Ammar! :perfect:

I like the break in colour 'monotony' (monotone) using a simple gradient mix. It' subtle and effective! :)

Back