What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need serious direction forsaving PC photoshop file for Quark

jennifern

can someone offer a solution....

i work in Photoshop on a PC (i know MAC is the way to go but...)...I am having to save my file to be used by a commercial printer who needs to run the file through Quark for printing.

I will have to use spot channels for a duotone file and save as an EPS file, and the printer will try to convert the file into Quark.

There has to be a way that Photoshop can allow users to create files on a PC, save for work on a MAC, and then allow use of the MAC file in other MAC programs...but how do I get through the first, few steps?

The problem we have been having is not only a compatability issue but he does not know Photoshop very well (and I do not know it as well, either) [confused] so there is a communication problem.

How can I successfully save the file without losing any information and be able to get the colors and fonts and graphics I want?

Any suggestions would be great! thanks!

WELCOME!!!

To conserve the duotones, I think you have to choose the DCS format (don't worry, it is also an EPS)
That's a first thing... but there quite a long time I didn't do DTP stuff, let's wait someone from the field!

saving as DCS

thanks for your reply....

i did save the file originally as a DCS, and then as an EPS....but i get the same warning message, "some of the document data will not be saved using the chosen format and options".

when selecting the "save as" option, it defaults according to the file type i want to save it as, but this warning message keeps coming up.

this must be where the data has been lost, but how do i NOT lose it?

[stuned]

thanks!

No, you don't need to save it as an EPS after... I meant that DCS (use the 2.0) is one kind of EPS format.
try again... (and look in the drop down list in the Save as... the dcs are listed with an EPS extention!
DCS means Desktop Color Separation

Welcome aboard jennifern! :) I always save my files as "tiffs" and have never had any problems! ;) [confused] (to date). You will note that you have the option to save for either Mac or PC! Just provide your printer with the Pantone numbers for your spot colors.

saving PC to MAC file

i guess i should have phrased my response better (sorry!).

i orginally saved the file as DCS, but got the warning message.

then i went back into the file and saved it as an EPS, and again got the same warning message about the document data.

i was trying to see if i saved it in different formats, would it give me the same warning message (and it did).

i tried to save it a number of ways, and each time i got this message.

thanks

Ohhhhhh.... jennifern, this is not good! :{ This is why we always keep our raw PS files! But then you knew that, didn't you? We sometimes learn the hard way... [confused]

Hmmmm.... I'd have to do a little research on your problem, but it just might turn out that you'll have to recreate your file... [doh]

saving files

wendy-

see what you can research and find out (if you have the time, of course!). any help on this is greatly appreciated. i have a little bit of time to figure it out between this forum, a 600+ page book on Photoshop, and a little research on my own.

i do still have the raw PSD file. the project i am working on is part 2 of 2 (part 1 got done, but not the original design i wanted.) :(

i would like to be able to go to the printer next week and have all the answers and the correct file and be ready to go!

thanks again for your help.

As Pierre said: DCS is a variation on the Encapsulated PostScript. DCS stands for Desktop Color Separation.
If you want to be able to edit the plates separately, you can use Image>Mode>Multichannel. This will split your duotone into channels. This way you have the option to tweak each one separately. But you can only save as a psd, or a DCS.
If you want to save simply as eps (besides psd there is no other option for duo, tri and quadtones), you may want to do the following:
An eps has two parts: the postscript, and the preview. I f you choose tiff 1 bit, you get a black and white preview. For a coloured one, choose tif 8bit. Normally for quark you can use the Huffman encoding, aka Binary. But ASCII is more generally accepted, though much longer and fatter as everything has to be described.
Normally I let the printer do the screening, so I don't include a halftone screen.
Transfer function is better left alone.
ColorManagement is only ok for Postscript2 printers and above.
If you used vector data, check the vector box. If not, uncheck.
ImageInterpolation is only useful when you intend to change the format later.

And err...never mind if they have problems, ans Postscript is always the source of trouble in the printer world. That's why more and more printers move to Acrobat's PDF.

There are only two problems between pc and mac: the first are fonts, ie people coming with their layout made in MSWord to a mac oriented printer.
The second one is that mac uses headers. So postscripts coming from mac are often problematic on pc. When you get one and can't open it, throw it not in the dustbin but in the word-processor as PostScript is plain text. Then look for %!PS. What comes before this is the header and is unnecessary, so it can be thrown away.

And please: never let yourself be influenced by the so-called necessity for mac in the print world. I work solely on PC and they don't ever notice. Mac is of course very good, but pc is of the same quality, and the difference is like the difference between English and American. Lawyers and Bannisters, goals and jails you know,...

good luck!

Welcome aboard Jennifern
I feel lucky that all the printers that I have worked for ask for .ai files or .tiff hope it all works for you in the end and that someone here can help you
sfm

Back