What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need to fill pen tool created shape

ab1

I have created a shape using the pen tool (bezier) and would like to fill it with a color. How can I do this? Using the paintbucket just fills the entire layer. There's got to be an easy way to make the shape a selection so I can fill just the shape.

Also, I use to have an automatic 'jump to' link between Photoshop & ImageReady (clicking at the bottom of the tools panel) but it is no longer there. I get a message saying that there is no default jump to application to jump to. How can I set this?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Ok. On the paths palette click the workpath then on the bottom section of the palette, click the uncolored dotted circle to convert path to selection marching ants (marquee). Shortcut - Hold down CNTRL+click workpath layer on path palette.

It should be there, unless you accidentally deleted something in its program folder ( I remember there's shortcut in there). Try re-install , I don't remember if there's a choice to include IM, but just make sure to include it just in case there is..

dv8

vogonpoet

also,

you can directly fill a path from the path palette using the "fill path" icon. (I think it is the first icon at the bottom of the path palette, you can also stroke a path if needed there also using any of the brushes, eraser etc)

If have PS6, you can also use the 'custom shape tool' to create a filled region that is fully editable, meaning if you change the shape of the path, the fill automatically updates, unless you rasterise the layer.

With the broken shortcut part of your question? I guess a re-install is the only thing I could think off.

theKeeper

Guru
And lastly...

If you're using a PC, you can also just "right-click" anywhere on the canvas when you've highlighted the path, and from the context menu choose your preferred option.

ALSO...
Just remember that you MUST have your brush/size chosen before-hand when "stroking" a path. The function will use the last brush/size chosen from your palette. So choose your brush & it's size, then perform the Stroke.

NOTE: i would imagine that Mac users could "Control-click" to do this...?

kiwi

Guru
Not sure if this will work or not ab1 but try adding a shortcut of Imageready to your helpers folder.......I think it is the helpers folder.You can also add other shortcuts here as well :),and if I am not wrong they should show up in your jump to menu.

Stu.

ab1

Thanks for all the input

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I will be exploring/experimenting
today!!

Have a great day!

Anamacha

um ... what happens when you're trying to fill a path and, after making the Path a selection with the Paths palette, the Fill option is grayed out? I don't get why that is. RGB document and all that ... should work ... no?

I can't seem to fill the path directly from the Paths palette, either.

Any help appreciated ... :D

Anam

G

Welcome to the board Ab1 :perfect:

Don't hesitate to join our forums, ask any questions you might have, join challenges, share some images with us or just have some plain fun! :)

wbiss

Guru
:rofl: G-Man! You just welcomed a "new user" who signed up in March of 2002! :p

Anam, if the selection is 'grayed out', it would seem that you haven't created a new layer in your layers palette on which to fill the selection! ;)

G

wbiss said:
G-Man! You just welcomed a "new user" who signed up in March of 2002!
[stuned]

Now I wonder why he never came back... nobody ever welcomed him! :rofl:

wbiss

Guru
:rofl: :perfect: G-Man!

wbiss

Guru
[confused] What happened to your 'siggie' G-Man?????