What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new and frustrated...aaack!

Hi, plumfairy ::)

You need to increase Photoshop 5.5's memory by 10,000 K :

I think you're talking about RamDoubler. I hope it works for you, but Photoshop is notorious about having a fit with RamDoubler. Really, I urge you to get more real RAM if you possibly can. It's as cheap, or cheaper, than RamDoubler, and much more effective.

Julie is absolutely right. The full version has loads af advantages over the LE one, you've got the serial of it,...
You only need two things: a good defrag of your HDD and more ram. All these other "shortcuts" are making the road longer and more difficult.
PS is used to have its table at the town's best restaurant. Don't try to feed it a hotdog. It won't work.

:\ [sly] [slick] [saywhat] ;\ [shhh]
Badhrt: Send an e-mail or a private message, but don't write this on the board, ok?
Big Brother is watching you!!!!

Eric: I don't feel I put anything on the this board for big brother to watch. My personal message simply tells this person to contact me directly for the help she needs. If this is a problem then I certainly do apologize for ruffling anyones feathers and will not make the mistake again. ;\

Tim

AppleCider said:
Hi, plumfairy ::)

You need to increase Photoshop 5.5's memory by 10,000 K :

I think you're talking about RamDoubler. I hope it works for you, but Photoshop is notorious about having a fit with RamDoubler. Really, I urge you to get more real RAM if you possibly can. It's as cheap, or cheaper, than RamDoubler, and much more effective.

Thanks for the tip Applecider! I will increase the 5.5 memory. Just haven't been able to get to it yet.
I am looking into getting more RAM memory too.
jana:D

Erik said:
Julie is absolutely right. The full version has loads af advantages over the LE one, you've got the serial of it,...
You only need two things: a good defrag of your HDD and more ram. All these other "shortcuts" are making the road longer and more difficult.
PS is used to have its table at the town's best restaurant. Don't try to feed it a hotdog. It won't work.

:D Howdy Erik!
Still don't know what a "defragg" is:{ By shortcuts, do you mean a 'ram doubler'?
I have an i-MAC 8.6 (upgraded from 8.0) ....and I have been told that finding memory stick for this model is not easy and not easy to instal. But, I am still looking into it anyway.
thank you for you time and help.

I purchased my WACOM tablet via their website a year ago. I can't believe that they would no longer have my serial # onboard. CRAZY.[stuned]

badhrt has done nothing wrong. Just trying to help me.

Hey Tim: I was just teasing you.[innocent]
How would I know what goes on in private, and why should I care?
Aren't we all trying to help one-another?
Never forget that there's a heart beneath the wallet.

Whoops...overlooked the starter of the thread. Sorry...

Whilst working, your comp writes data ( ones and zeros, on and offs) to a device on which it can store them. This means that not only your progs are on there, but also your data et all. Now everytime you add new data, these data are added to what's already on the HDD. But when you delete something, it creates gaps. These gaps can be filled in with new data, but if the file is too large, it will be placed in several places instead of in one. This file is then fragmented. Norton for example has an app that can be used on the mac that puts all these bits and pieces back together. This is called defragmentation.
It is a bit more complicated thatn this, but basically I described what happens, and why it has to be done from time to time.

Did you register your Wacom? If so, they must be able to find it for you. But really: I woul try to get PS5.5 going as it's much better than LE.

Erik said:
Whoops...overlooked the starter of the thread. Sorry...

Whilst working, your comp writes data ( ones and zeros, on and offs) to a device on which it can store them. This means that not only your progs are on there, but also your data et all. Now everytime you add new data, these data are added to what's already on the HDD. But when you delete something, it creates gaps. These gaps can be filled in with new data, but if the file is too large, it will be placed in several places instead of in one. This file is then fragmented. Norton for example has an app that can be used on the mac that puts all these bits and pieces back together. This is called defragmentation.
It is a bit more complicated thatn this, but basically I described what happens, and why it has to be done from time to time.

Did you register your Wacom? If so, they must be able to find it for you. But really: I woul try to get PS5.5 going as it's much better than LE.

:D Yep! Erik, I sure did register my WACOM when I installed it. The WACKY WACOM peeps still said my tablet is outdated and they do not save them in archives anywhere.[stuned]
I think this is BAD FORM on their part. I asked to help me again, but, no reply.

I know that 5.5 is a bit better than the LE, but not by much. I thought it would be a world of difference, but when I installed the 5.5 and checked out all the bells and whistles.....well, it just wasn't as impressive as I thought it would be. Maybe I didn't explore enough.

Anyway, I do appreciate your help and thank you!
jana;) :D

plumfairy, no insult to you, but if you see little difference between any full version of Photoshop and LE, you didn't explore it enough :) Not your fault; people who have been using Photoshop for 8+ years are STILL exploring it. I think others on these boards will agree with that...please believe that.

LE is a starter program to get one's feet wet...usually offered as you know as a bundle with something else. But if you have a full PS version (in your case, 5.5) you can expand your knowledge WAY beyond anything LE can offer you, if you take the time.

I understand your point about installing RAM, but I also note that you have people who can help you do that. Buy them a pizza, a six-pack, take them to the movies, cook them a great dinner, etc :)

;) Thanks Applecider!
I agree, I probably didn't explore it enough;\ I definately intend to though. No offense taken at all:D I am continuing to work on the memory thingy. Researching that is.
I am just blown away by how wonderful and helpful y'all have been here at GURU's!:D :perfect:
I am soooo pleased to have hooked up here.
thank you again,

Back