What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEW CONTENT ALERT!

theKeeper

Guru
For those just starting out with Photoshop, and even perhaps those who have been using it for a little while... i've just completed and posted some new material, within the "Beginner's Section" of the site.
(Those who feel they are 'Intermediate Users' should go over this info anyway -- just to be sure they know it)

If you'd care to check it out, go here » Learning Fundamentals -- for Photoshop 6
(adaptable to most other versions, with a little forehand knowledge of the program)

Note: This is a 4-part series, with 3 parts completed thus far:

- Using the Selection Tools (including a section about the Path tools)
- All About Fills (including solids, gradients, & textures)
- Understanding the Brushes (including creating custom brushes)

NOTE: although i originally designed this material for working with PS6, it CAN be applied to other versions -- given that you have at least a small understanding of PS already.

gidgit

cool Mark, I am on my way... who knows, I may just become a addict of this here app yet... :)

I have ta tell ya, I am becoming more impressed every time I use it... and that is truly saying alot, because I really have spent thousands of hours creating with the other app ...you know... and I never expected to convert so easily like...

Thanx for the forum and the site... :D

sfm

Guru
cool mark thanks it does ones soul good to go over and freshen up a bit he he he
and now we know where you have been hiding lately - your so quiet I thought you were up to no good he he he
sfm

theKeeper

Guru
hahaa hey i'm ALWAYS up to no good gals... just ask my wife! :rofl: [stuned]

Actually that new material was to be included on a CD i've been working on -- and it still may be anyway.
I've since though changed my intended format/goal of the CD content to be specifically Web Design/Creation oriented. So i decided to through this material to the site as well. I was kinda short on material of this kind anywho... hope it's useful for new users at least.

{OZ}

Hey Mark.. its nice to see you here again.. come and see us sometime.. hehe :rofl: ..

remember way back then at the old forum days we were talking about some moss/corrosion effect and you said you were gonna post a tut on that?? well.. I'm still waiting.. belive that :D :D

sfm

Guru
hey OZ perhaps while you are waiting you might look at this action I picked up
sfm

{OZ}

hey Sue thanks..smooth working action.. nice effect!!:D now I can tear apart that action .. lets see what I'll find inside

sfm

Guru
OZ try clicking on all of the little arrows in the steps as this is the instruction of that step and recreate those steps yourself

this is how I learnt to do a lot of things seeing what was done then experimenting my own

when I am doing this I extend the action window out wide so that I can read everything unfortunately I haven't been able to make the action go step by step so that I could see what was happening and make notes the action just blurs away at 100k! he he he
sfm

theKeeper

Guru
CREATING A MOSSY OLD TREE SURFACE...

Glad ya like the new info folks.

OZ... i've been around for a while now... must just be missing each other. [excited]

And actually what i think i said on the old board about a tute for the moss/moldy effect was... that i didn't have the time to write up a tute just now, but i'll post the actions & styles i created to achieve the effect.
And with these, you actually won't NEED a tute! :D

Mossy Moldy Tree.zip (this group of files is 310kb in size)

Below is just a sample of one final result that can be achieved. But this effect relies on running abstract filters which will produce quite a different looking effect every time. This sample image started at 640x480. I flattened and scaled it down to this size -- i flattened it first so that the effects of the Styles would scale correctly.

TIP:
After importing the Action & Style files, just run the first Action in the group. It will create a New Document for you, but will pause there so YOU can set the size you want it to be.

NOTE: i haven't yet tried this effect on a document larger than 640x480, so results may be different with larger doc sizes -- but i highly doubt it will make any difference. [excited]

PS: Good luck dissecting these Actions! mooohahahahaaa! [sly] :rofl:

{OZ}

yep you are right...I guess after dissecting the actions, we won't need a tute... lets see whats under the hood now :)

Thanks a lot, Mark!

:)

sfm

Guru
nice mark ta

oh and your evil laugh.................... he he he cute very cute [confused] glad there was no sound effects attached ha ha ha
sfm

theKeeper

Guru
Ya there's probably more than a few out there Alistair. I've seen 2 or 3 when visiting Chapters book store here.

Just stay away from the "PS for Dummy's" books. They completely sterilize the learning experience. IMHO

Rantin Al

Guru
sfm said:
I haven't been able to make the action go step by step so that I could see what was happening and make notes the action just blurs away at 100k! he he he
sfm

Hiya Sue, The small icons like mini menus are the 'Modal Controls'. These are otherwise known as the action handbrake. :D Click to show the icon and that part of the action will stop and allow you to twiddle the variable being 'actioned'. With all buttons showing, every step will go then stop, allowing you to see the action develop. Hope this helps.

Cheers Al.

sPECtre

Guru
sue, to get the action as a TXT document, do this: (from www.Actionfx.com )

? Can I print an Action as a text file?
Yes you may. When you want to print an action as a text file to read the settings the Action applied (a GREAT learning tool, by the way),select the Action Set in the Actions Palette. Click Command(Mac)/Control(PC)+Alt and, holding those keys down, open the Actions Menu and select 'Save Actions'. When the Save window pops up, you should see the Action has a .txt extension instead of a .atn extension. Save it, print it, and learn from it. NOTE: Unless you want endless sheets printing at a time, be sure to empty the Actions Palette of ALL ACTION SETS except the one you want to save as a text file. If you have more than one loaded, all those loaded will be saved in the same text file.

There is some good previously undocumented info about actions in the Photoshop 5.02 (still valid for PS 7.01) PDF you can find in this page: http://macanudo.jpq.com:8088/idig/photoshopcentral/tips.html

stOrM!

Ah Mark

Actually that new material was to be included on a CD i've been working on --

That sounds more then interesting to me...When will you finish it and could you please tell a little more of what I will see on that CD...? Also whats very interesting to me, I assume their will be also Tuts on the CD will you make Video Tuts? that would be fantastic!

kindest regards
s!