What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New, from North Louisiana

Shorty111r

Hey guys, just getting into the Photoshop scene. I diddled with it a few years ago and came up with some simple stuff. But I'm working on a project for school right now that demands I step it up quite a bit. Maybe you guys could help?

Glad to be here.

-Shorty

G'day mate enjoy and see let what happens.

Thanks. For now I have a simple question:

I'm working on creating a "movie poster" sort of image. It's comprised of one large image on top, and two smaller images below it. How do I simply move individual images on a canvas? I'm just trying to get everything arranged into the spots I want them so I can see how it starts coming together.

All I know to do right now is to paste the picture onto the canvas, then draw a rectangle around it, cut it out, then set another rectangle where I want the new picture based, and paste it in there.

It's a long, cumbersome, and clumsy way to do thins. I need to be able to quickly adjust the size and position of pictures on the canvas. As if I were moving and positioning individual pictures in a word document.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Shorty, welcome.

I am wondering what exactly you mean but it sounds like basic Photoshop. But you are making it much harder. If I get you that is.

You are creating a blank document the size you want right? Then you are copying and pasting an image onto the document. When you do that, you make a new layer. The image on the new layer can be moved independently anywhere you want it by using the move tool, the one at the very top of horizontal toolbar, or press "v" key. If the image isn't the right size, you can transform it, via the edit menu.

Here's where you confuse me: All I know to do right now is to paste the picture onto the canvas, then draw a rectangle around it, cut it out, then set another rectangle where I want the new picture based, and paste it in there.

Why all these steps? It almost sounds like you're doing this on paper :mrgreen:
You don't need all these rectangles. That's the beauty of Photoshop. Everything can be manipulated separately because of the layers.

I hope this helps you but let us know if not. You may want to start a new thread addressing your specific problem if you haven't gotten it figured out.

Hi Shorty & Welcome to PSG!

Back