What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to here and having some weired issues

Soumya

hi am new to photoshop and the forum some one recommended this forum. I have couple of issues .First one is when ever i tried to use as shape or path am having an unwanted stroke around the shape and i disabled the shape option at the top yet its displaying the stroke. I s it a bug in photoshop or some thing am doing wrong?Also my 2nd question is when ever i opt a path or a shape my image mode is keep in going to Grayscale an i have to forced to change the image mode to RGB . Whats wrong with it? As i said earlier am new to PS am a regular user of Adobe Fireworks.Any help will be highly appreciated. Also attached is the psd an screenshots

sou.jpg

View attachment weired.psd

Hi Soumya

For the question about the stroke on shapes:

When you have the stroke tool selected, at the top of the canvas by "File - Edit - Image" you will see the following

stroke.JPG

Change the stroke option to make sure it has the red line through it - alternativly if this doesnt work ( i can see on your image its ok) change the 8.00pt to 0.00pt, or change the stroke color to the same color as the shape. (these is just a few options).

2nd question regarding greyscale, as long as your path is on a new layer -

Image > adjustment > Desaturate - Equivalent is a keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+U.

if i have read that question wrong please let me know. Hope this helps.

First of all a little friendly advice...

Its never a good idea to blame your inability to use an application as being a 'bug' with the software...
...I s it a bug in photoshop...

...especially when your opening line is.....
hi am new to photoshop...

Now, on with the problem.

1. "...unwanted stroke around the shape..."

As Nathaniel-WoLvEz has already pointed out the 'stroke' option is disabled via the 'stroke' icon......BUT.....if you then change the stroke 'thickness' or its 'Style' the stroke option is automatically enabled again.
PS assumes that if you change the stroke thickness you MUST want to apply a stroke......this is not always the case but it IS logical....you wouldn't need to change the stroke thickness if its disabled, whats the point?.

So.....when defining a 'Shape' always check that these options are correct before continuing.

Now, I'll get off my soap-box and continue.

I'm not sure what the attached psd file is.
It doesn't have any paths nor shapes which relate to the problem you are having. There is only one layer with a black rectangle, ('Rectangle 1'), with some lines protruding from it around its edge. (As in your attached image).

Where is the path you speak of?

2. "...is keep in going to Grayscale..."

Your attached image shows 2 open documents.....one as RGB 8bit and the other as Greyscale 8bit.

This is a USER choice, PS will not just change the mode on its own.
Check your settings for a 'new document' and make sure that the Color Mode is set to RGB....

new_doc_01.png

This is all I can think of as to why that second document would be Greyscale 8bit.

Regards.
MrTom.

Please notice that he has both the fill and the stroke option turned off, the resulting rectangle would look like this....
Kinda looks like a stroke.
Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 9.09.22 AM.png

Turn on your shape fill by setting it to a color.

Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 9.12.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 9.11.45 AM.png

Probably so MrT. Sounds logical to me.

On mine, the path outline stays even if you change layers as long as the path layer is highlighted.

Yeah good point, but I was sure that is dissapeared when you changed layer?

It does, but is that relevant to the problem?

I have no idea what
when ever i opt a path or a shape
means, maybe I'm missing something but I understood from the OP that its an issue with the Color Mode changing to Greyscale rather than the path disappearing?

I dunno, maybe the bogey-man got to it.:eek:

Regards.
MrTom.

Nathaniel, are you referring to 2 different shape layers, one with a stroke and the other without. This would mean that the options in the tools option bar would correspond with the shape layers, so let's say, the stroke option would "disappear" if you chose the layer without the stroke. You have to set the options for each new shape layer or they will remain the same as the last shape layer you visited or created.

I was just referring to your post, I was just wrong in what I said, I only said I thought something. It was obviously incorrect. Thanks!

Nathaniel, I apologize if I misunderstood you.

Sometimes these PSG dialogues are a comedy, or is it a comedy of errors? :rofl:

I was wondering too if it was just the path selection which if active will appear as a stroke. Very good advice all.

Back