What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Photoshop Gurus!

gaseabra

Hello PS Experts,

I´m a photographer actually, not an advanced PS user. I reach out to you today in order to find out about a particular technique I want to use to up my game on images editing a little bit.

As an example, see the attachment. We see a real photo of three actors, but in the editing, they look cartoonized or drawn. Now there´s millions of tutorials on how to cartoonize photos, but they all look lame. It seems the technique I´m looking is not "cartoonize" or "drawing".

Long story short, I need to edit my models´ photos so they look like this very realistic and atonishing wallpaper. I just need an expression or the technique name to look for tutorials myself.

Thank you all guys in advance for the answers!

índice.jpg

Argos

Guru
I struggle to see the cartoonish effect on the actors I search for the original picture to see if I missed something, I couldn't find it, only better resolutions png's and montages, but I found this one that seems to be from the same set, and I don't see any cartoonish effect either the only differences is that is more saturated and the image has a lot less quality, maybe the guy who did the montage get rid of the noise that the original picture have, That could make the impression of a little bit more cartoonish.

I took the original and reduced drastically (overexaggerate) the noise to make it look more cartoonish as an example, is this what are you going for?

Original

5807011-batman-v-superman-wallpaper-016 (1).jpg

5807011-batman-v-superman-wallpaper-016 (1)f.jpg

gaseabra

Hey Argos, thanks for your reply. In both images you´ve posted, the actors don´t look flat as in a raw photo just off the camera. They look like a very realistic drawing, that´s what I´m going for. Perhaps it´s contrast, messing up with shadows a little bit, I don´t know.

I´ve made some tests reducing noise of some stock images I have, but I didn´t see any change in it.

Argos

Guru
Well, I'm sure they used a big set of illumination and plenty of photoshop to make those pictures.;) It's hard to tell you something concrete because as I said I don't see any drawing effect, just good quality photos with excellent illumination
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the plastic/drawing effect of this noise reduction is from "camera raw filer": details- noise reduction,-luminance? not sure how is named in English version XD.

Btw: if you want to do in a raw a similar look I assure you it's not done with one technique, as usual, it's a combination of a lot of techniques and as you said touching up the contrast, colors, lights, etc etc.

Last edited:

gaseabra

Yes, it´s luminance. I took a look at it, but it quite doesn´t do the trick. The "plastic" expression is what I was looking for. Maybe I´ll start from there.

Argos

Guru
I forgot to say that one technique that makes it look kinda drawing is the well know "dodge and burn", it's used a lot on movie posters, but it requires a lot of patience, practice and restrain or it would look like the bad movies
Visual example XD.
peligro-en-bangkok-dvd-importado-sin-rayas-D_NQ_NP_603905-MLA25074326770_092016-F.jpg

gaseabra

I forgot to say that one technique that makes it look kinda drawing is the well know "dodge and burn", it's used a lot on movie posters, but it requires a lot of patience, practice and restrain or it would look like the bad movies
Visual example XD.
View attachment 96301
Thank you, man. I'll check some tutorials out and post some tests here.