What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Tutorial is up...

why can't mine work out like that :(

I shear the gradiant ball and was supposed to see something magical happen but didn't see anything - those 2 adjustment layers were they supposed to merged or something onto the gradient ball? - I did have several layers I was supposed to go layers/ new adjustment layer/posterise and then layers/new adjustment layers/soft light or what ever it was (I have sort of had 6 hours of broken sleep feel more tired now than when I went to bed - thanks chunks)
sfm

Using my lines, there is a problem with making the backfaces, if you know what I mean. They just don't line up properly. They go all wonky.

Twenty minutes later, I solved the problem with Displace. Go figger. The backfaces line up pretty **** good. Just a little refining and it's good to go. Although, there are two problems:
1) A little bit of math is required. Although, you could forego the math and do some hit-or-miss. Even with some math, some hit-or-miss will have to be done, but not as much w/out it.
2) It's set in stone, so to speak. At least theta is. Rho can be easily adjusted by rotating the D-Map, but the math or hit-or-miss will have to be done again.

Now that I think about it, I might be able to come up with a better variation. I'll have to do some serious fiddling. Great. Just great. I might have to put yet another Displace tutorial on-deck.

Back to the salt mine.

play.fiddle.learn

Here is my first try at the Ist method , can't seem to get the lines sharp for some reason [confused]

And herre is my first try at the 2nd technique. I tweeked this a little as you can see :D 8[ ;)

Hey Mark... this looks like a great "tute" and I will definitely have a go at it soon. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience! ;)

Keep at that Stroker, i'm really curious to see if/how you can solve that one. Very interesting method of producing that effect. I like it! :perfect:

Rick...
Good stuff on both attempts
The first look s like some aliasing has krept into the image somewhere. Recheck your selection settings for that. Either that, or make sure that when you spherize the grid lines, the correct selection is active; or inactive.

Sue...
No Sue, those adjustment Layers are NOT to be merged. Those, along with the default gradient ball layer are to remain separate from the effect, once you've pasted into the channel.

Wendy...
Hey you're quite welcome, glad to have something worth sharing. Good luck and have fun with the tute. ;)

ApWizard... I believe you've really got it! :perfect:

Mark, I dabbled with your tute last night, and although it is well written/documented, I wasn't at all happy with my initial results. It's "one of those things that will take practice and a more "learned eye", so I will just have to have another go at it when time permits.

In the meantime, here's one of my efforts. I gave version 1 a 3-d look by duplicating the mercator and applying filter/render/3-d transform

Hi, Mark

Here's my first attempt. You lost me in two places... Step 5: Couldn't remember which was the mercator "shape" (layer 3?). and in Step6: what # was the "grid" layer? [doh] I'll give it another go, and do some experimenting this time also.....great tut

hey great Larry - just might have to give the tute another go later when I have some time I got lost somewhere before or in the channels I think
sfm

Sad attempt? Not at all! I think it's a very good attempt Linda. I really like it and in a way it reminds me of the artist Escher

Lindaw, that is really good! :perfect: Your lines are nice & clean and I like your mesh look. :D

Thanks everyone. I really thought I had messed this one up big time![confused] Still working on the other parts of the tut. I really like the posts here. Everyone has done a great job. Sue, you just have too many things to do durning the day girl! Looking forward to yours, it will be great as always!!!:perfect:

Trust me Linda, even if you have a problem with a tutorial, doesn't mean that you can't follow another road. One should always be open to new ideas, hence the reason why yours turned out that well :)

Back