What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie - How do I achieve this effect please?

basils57

Hi folks

I'm really quite new to photoshop trying to learn as I go, and wondered if someone could advise me how to achieve the layered effect shown in the attached.
Also if I was using a similar picture, what is the best way to 'blend' the left hand side of the picture into a light coloured background?

Any advice really would be appreciated. I'm using CS4.Layer.jpg

Last edited:
select your subject copy make new layer with it > blur the first layere then half frame it with a transparent layer of white .thats what I see

tools.jpg

It looks like they used the rounded rectangle to make a path and then a selection.
The rounded rectangle is in the third group of tools in the tool pallet (CS3) It's in with the rectangle tool, line tool, custom shape tool, ect.

*Click on the rounded rectangle and then up at the top choose a radius that you like and click on the path button that I circled in red.

*Draw your rectangle on the image the size you like. It will draw the inside part of what you want.

*Click on the "Paths" tab next to the layers tab. If it's not there go to the "Window" menu up top and find Paths. In the Paths pallet you'll see a Work Path.
Click on it and change it's name to anything, that will save it.

*Now Ctrl Click on it to make a selection.

*Go back to the layers pallet and make a new blank layer.

*Go up to the "Select" menu and choose select inverse.

*Fill the selection with white using the paint bucket tool.

*Adjust the opacity of the layer to what you want.

I don't understand the second part of your question.

Thought about your question. I think this is what you wanted.

Choose your "light colored background" color as your foreground color.

Click on the gradiant tool, it's under the paint bucket tool. (CS3)
In the dropdown box up on top, one of the options will be foreground color to transparent. Make sure the "Linear gradiant" is the one your using.

Put your mouse on the left side of the image, left click, hold and drag maybe halfway across the image. Keep doing it until you get what you want.

Last edited:
Hi.
The image you have put up, that effect can be easily achieved through photgraphy itself. The lady is standing in front and the other workers are at least 6" behind her. Just focus on the lady and you blur out the background people.
However, you can get the same effect in Photoshop as well. We have this effect called Lens Blur. I am not too proficient in it but I will show you another technique.
I will use this image I got off a stock image site:
Image.jpg
1. Using Quick Mask (Q) and selecting a round brush (B), select the person in the foreground.
1.-Quick-Mask.jpg
You will notice that I have covered a large area during selecting the man. This shall be explained in Step 3.

2. Press Q again to exit Quick Mask. You will notice that though you selected the man, the Selection (marching ants) shows the inverted version. This is fine.
2.-Selection.jpg

3. Now select the Rectangular Marquee Tool (M). Right click on the Selection area & choose Feather. I gave a feather of 25. What feather does is it decrease the selection area, by giving it a soft blur amount as well. (Say you fill a selection: you get a sharp fill within the selection. If you use Feather, the area gets filled but it gradually decreases towards outside)
3.-Feather.jpg
You will see now after Feather, the Selection has decreased, just about touching the man. This is why I Quick Masked him on a larger area.

4. Got to Filter ---> Blur ---> Gaussian Blur.
I gave a blur of 1.6 . You give what you feel suits the image.
4.-Gaussian-Blur.jpg

5. De-select (Ctrl + Shift + D) and you are done!
5.-Done.jpg

However, if you want a more accurate result, you will have to use the Pen Tool to outline the man. Then same steps after Feathering.

I wasn't able to get your second query.

Hope this helped! :)

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions folks, it's really good to know that this sort of help is available out there.
I achieved exactly what I wanted with Flattracker's suggestion - Thanks.

You're welcome. Wasn't sure how well you knew PS, so I didn't know if my suggestions were too detailed or not detailed enough.

Back