What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie question

TeckyWalla

Just started to get back into CS3 after a long absence and going through a few tutorials and suddenly I cannot create project with images I have used many times before.
I load an initial pic, create new layer and bring another file to overlay the first , it now automatically creates a new project with a new background layer?
I have spent a while trying to correct it before asking for your help, believe me.
Thanks.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello. Easiest way..............? After you load the initial image, just drag an drop the new images into the document.

TeckyWalla

I tried drag and drop, same thing happens.
Something weird happening, I tried it on my laptop where I have had no problem before, The SAME thing is happening!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I tried it on my laptop where I have had no problem before, The SAME thing is happening!
I assume you had the CS3 software on a desktop and then you installed the same CS3 software on your laptop and the same thing is happening? If so, where did you get the software?

JeffK

Guru
You say you " bring another file to overlay the first"...how do you bring the file in? Do you open and place? Do you drag it into the document?
Are you opening a new layer then going to File-Open?

TeckyWalla

I have had the S/W for some years and only occasionally used it for minor operations, initially I went through the book ' Layers' by M.Kloskowski for practice.
This functioned fine using the books exercises, I also tried repeating one of the chapters and now it functions the same as my initial post.
I tried opening a file and also drag and drop, as soon as I do either , it creates a new file with initial BG layer.

JeffK

Guru
Possible someone else may jump in. Unfortunately I don't have an immediate fix for your current software. My first thought is to reset all preferences and see if that has any effect.
Unfortunately, CS3 is about 14 years old and Adobe no longer supports it. From what I read, even if you try to reinstall, you won't get more than a trial period since the activation servers for that version have been retired.
I understand that you use PS infrequently and you might not want to invest in a monthly subscription - maybe switch over to no-cost apps like Gimp or even an online editor like Photopea. I've heard good things about Affinity - one time cost of $49.95

I'm not one to give up - but I think considering the age of the software you have, it might be more than difficult to solve the problem.

- Jeff