What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie Question

Red_Qzilla

Hey everyone,

I recently got into photography, specifically car photography, and I recently purchased a CPL filter to try and reduce some of the reflections on the windshield / side of the car. The tips I got off YouTube were basically to take two photos in the same position whilst adjusting the filter. So position the filter over the windshield, then position it over the side of the car. The next step would be to open both images in photoshop and choose one as your base image. Say you like the one where the filter is over the windshield you would use that, then "paint in" the side of the car from the other image.

This all sounds simple enough...well it is not! I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it.

I was using this video as a reference :

I can get to the point where I have the two layers, I get the images aligned, but I cannot even find the brush option he is using :( ! My side panel has no brush just "history brush" so I cannot get past this step.

The problems I have been finding is :

1. I know nothing about photoshop so I do not know the technical terms for what I am trying to achieve to properly search this.
2. A lot of videos I find users are on different versions, or even OS's which seems to make it difficult to find the correct panels / icons.

If someone could maybe clue me in on the technical terms for what I am trying to achieve so I can search this more easily? Or if anyone has some video links to how to do this that gives step by step instructions?

I was considering taking a photoshop course but to be honest photography will likely just remain a hobby, I just want to enhance it slightly. I am not sure if a course would be worth it because I don't know how much time I will spend on it.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The brush Tool may be hidden. If you have any of the tools below showing in your toolbar, just click on the toolbar icon and hold until the flyout menu appears, click on Brush Tool.

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 10.48.04 AM.png

The only other option is to go to EDIT > TOOLBAR and see if the Brush Tool has been placed in "extra tools".

As far as the terminology, the presenter in your video is using the correct terms. He is using a layer mask for masking.

Red_Qzilla

The brush Tool may be hidden. If you have any of the tools below showing in your toolbar, just click on the toolbar icon and hold until the flyout menu appears, click on Brush Tool.

View attachment 128722

The only other option is to go to EDIT > TOOLBAR and see if the Brush Tool has been placed in "extra tools".

As far as the terminology, the presenter in your video is using the correct terms. He is using a layer mask for masking.

Yes this was the problem! Seems my brush tool was hidden!

nurgle

we were all newbies once... you are just starting the learning curve.

regards, Sandy