What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-destructive dodge/burn

G

It's not always easy to use the dodge/burn tools and get it right the first time. If you see the error immediately you simply undo. If you don't see it until several steps down the road, the history palette is your only hope, but that can be a pain if it means reverting several steps.

Do this:

• create a new layer on top of the layer that you want to retouch
  • set the blending mode of this layer to overlay
  • go to edit/fill... and fill the layer with 50% grey
  • now you're able to use the doge/burn tools on this layer without destroying the original. Another positive aspect: using multiple dodge and burn at the same spot isn't going to harm the quality.[/list:u]

My advice is always: never do retouch work on the original. Use adjustment layers, masks, channels, blended layers etc. This way it's easier to undo some adjustments in a later stage. This will cost you some extra memory, but hey, we can't have it all :rofl:

I usually use Hard Light for this technique, which is rather black and white (if you know what I mean, and I think you do). I'll have to give Overlay a try.

Good tip - I'm copying now - I'll never remember when I need tool.

Back