What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not Understanding Exporting an Image to the Web

GeorgeB

I am very confused about creating an image for the web that has imbedded hyperlinks within the image.

Years ago (before Photoshop) I used an application that would allow you to ‘map’ an image. Within that map you could create various hyperlinks.

When I got into Photoshop I learned the Slice tool along with Save for Web and that was a much better approach to accomplish the same goal.

Save for Web in now legacy and is being replace by various export functions (I think). I am simply not getting a grasp on this. I do understand that I can export individual layers as separate images but I have no clue as to how to imbed hyperlinks on these individual layers or how to assemble the final image for the web.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial?

Thanks.

George Brown

GeorgeB

Hi John,

Sort of. I am good with the Slice tool and imbedding links. The next step is where the disconnect occurs...in the past I simply go to Save for Web and Ps generates all of the individual slices that make up the image and I am good to go. But now Save for Web is Legacy and it appears that I now need to proceed with some sort of Export. I simply can not find any information regarding this change.

George Brown

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi George
Some other forum member may have to jump in yet as I understand all the slice functionality and exporting the images and HTML is all still there.
The Save for Web is still there under File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy). In the upper right corner you have an options dropdown to adjust any save options you want. When you go to the Save button, at the bottom you select if you want to output just images or images plus HTML

So far as I know nothing is missing yet I do not use this capability

Here is a video link that I believe coves the bases yet this is about as far as I can take it with my knowledge. Hope this helps
John Wheeler

GeorgeB

Hi John,

Excellent video...thanks (saving this one). That is pretty much how I have been doing the web image posts but this video has made me rethink my question. So let me phrase it this way...once I complete the slicing process and add the hypertext links to the slices I then go to Export. It appears my only option at this point is Export > Save for Web (Legacy) and save as HTML and images. Given this is a 'legacy' menu item, is this the ONLY way to save the HTML and images as an output? Maybe I am too hung up on the term 'legacy' as this may well be the only way to complete the process.

George Brown

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi George
Don't worry about the word "Legacy" and just use the functionality. It's not the only place that "legacy" is used in Photoshop.

My best guess is the thought process at Adobe goes something like this: " Based on user feedback (and software engineer whims), Adobe has decided to make the UI easier and more delightful for new users and old users alike (except the grumpy old ones that don't like change :) ). For the grumpy users, we will keep the old functionality and mark it as "Legacy" to match the old and grumpy users :) Old grumpy users like me :)

OK that was tongue and cheek (sort of). There is a lot of history with Photoshop and a lot of older scripts and actions that depend on the functionality to remain the same. While these new features don't keep the scripts and actions exactly backwards compatible, with a few changes they will still operate the way they should.

In some cases it means Adobe believes they have a better way to meet customer needs and/or better UI (easier to use). Some functionality does get tossed from Photoshop once in a while. Sometimes something takes its place and sometimes its gone forever. In general, they are pretty good about keeping old features around even if buried down a bit more.

I guess Adobe assumed that it was better to keep the little used slices function (even if accessed down one more level in the menu and marked Legacy) rather than losing customers that still use that functionality.

I would just use it and not worry about it. If you are somewhat worried, write into Adobe and let them know that you do not want that functionality to go away in future releases. I have no indication that is the case yet Adobe is not all that transparent with their plans.

Just my opinion of course
John Wheeler

GeorgeB

That makes sense. As soon as I saw the work 'legacy' a red flag went up and it made me think that there was a new process that I simply could not find.

Thanks for all of your help, John!

George Brown