What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NPR...

gidgit

NPR ...

or, if you like, Non-Photorealistic Rendering...

What do you know about it, and what have you done thus far with it... ???

Please post some links if you have any to share, and/or some worx, and/or just some ideas regarding this subject...

Personaly I got turned on to NPR by viewing an artist's work over at Renderosity, who goes by the name of TOXE... fantastic style of NPR to say the least... infact his most simplistic modeling combined with NPR is a winner style in my books... hehe, wish I came up with the simplistic modeling style he makes use of here :D

it would seem that you may have to be a member of Rend... in order to view, but here's the link for those who wish to see what has gotten me so excited ... the three b/w worx at the begining of his gallery... so simple, yet wow, what a great style

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=TOXE

So there ya have it... one example of NPR...

and... I am wondering just how effective it is to utilize toon shading within a 3D app for NPR vs simply rendering out your files as per normal say raytrace rendering, and then doing a batch up via a filter appllied within one's 2D image editing app... what's anybodies take on this?

looking forward...

gidgit

Npr is still very new bud,actually Earl had a few posts about npr over at TG,did you see them?

Hi Stu... nope, I must of missed the post... wouldn't be the first time though... [confused] [shhh] :rofl:

gidge edits- just got back from tg, and yea man... that's the stuff we be talking about... cool beans for sure eh...

yea, hey, did you check out the link I posted here... what do you think of this guy's most boxy style ? I keep shaking my head thinking... man, why didn't I think of this? I mean how easy would it be to model like this... heck, one could do a whole movie in no time doing this boxy stuff... and my kids just loved it eh...

I am now wondering whether or not it would be ok to sort of emulate this style within my own modeling, or not... waddya think?

I mean, does TOXE have the exclusive rights to this this style of modeling, or do you figure anybody is open to do thier own worx along this sort of style...

it looks like so much fun eh :D

--------------------------------------

and yea, it is the newest thing eh... and go figure, that Carrara, of all apps, is the app this TOXE guy used to create and render these little marvels... I am not sure if it was v3 he used or an older version, but... though I wouldn't dare model with said app, I have tried some toon shading with v2, as well with the v3 demo, and.... haha, it's a lot harder than ya thinx to get the kind of results this guy does... it's not working all that well for me thus far anyways :D

ah man, I wanna build me some little box buddies :D :D they are so cute ;\

ok, like I said... I tried it out in both versions, but that was the toon shading part 2 and part 3...

... did I ever miss the real goods eh... low and behold, Carrara has NPR in v3... not just simple toon shading as what I tried, but the real macoy eh... just download the app trial, and open your fav .obj file or 3ds if you must hehe, anyways, open up your properties slide out by clicking the green handle on the very right hand side of the screen, and then click the icon at the top right hand of the screen which looks like a piece of film... the scene properties should now be the render properties... to which, the first option is "renderer" and to the right it should read PhotoRealistic... click there and choose Non Photo Realistic and voila... NPR settings ready to tweak...

http://www.eovia.com/carrara/whats_new_car3.jsp

Nah I say go for it bud :) ,I have seen NPR stuff like that before,its basically like the result you would get igf you make your bojects out of cardboard and use a marker pen to add details,so I dont think he has rights over that style.

It is pretty nteresting.Check out C4Ds new Sketch and Toon,it sets the mark higher again for any toon shader on the market...

My modem is playing up so thats why I didnt check the link frst time bud :D ...I have a G5 sitting in the house and am waiting for monitors :)

Hope this is not too far off topic.

Maxon launched a new module doing just that, but m A/ I still dabble gently with the overload of options I have now, the money is spent, and the time is not there.

Yet, imo, it is best to get a fair amount of pm (photo modelling) first before trying this, as it is much more difficult. Just like, say, one has to know human anatomy quite well before trying to draw Flintstones. It *looks* easy, but it isn't...
And it is quickly visible when the basics are not there.

I shouldn't have written this as you both know this, and clearly have those skills...
:\

Tres cool... these little boxy images! B7 :D

Go for it gidgit! ;) I look forward to seeing your very first rendering! [excited]

hi guys and gal...

well... first off... way to go Stu... G5 Power... yea man, you've paid your dues with that little beastie of your's.... :perfect:

and yea. what the heck eh... yur right... of course he doesn't own the rights....

and yea man, I will def check out the Maxon site :perfect:

-------

Thnx for the thoughts Erik... and ya know, your probably right in that it will be much harder than appears... haha, it's pretty much same same for all 3D eh :D

---------

Wendy girl... glad you liked those little box critters... why I posted the link... I too, thought they were just adorable :)

and... here's hop'n we can bring something along those lines here to PSG...
------------

anyways gang, if you run accross any more NPR in your web travels, post a link so we can all check it out... never know what little goodies or tricks can be learned and applied eh... :)

I know that there is a ton of interest in this newest rendering style, and, as well, that there have been many efforts put in by folks using PS to replicate this fx in post work eh... which, while we are on the topic, would be a great exercise for you PS fanatics... taking some photo realistic PS worx and generating seudo NPR....

anyhoo...

happy creat'n all :)

looking forward to any news, thoughts, and/or worx to be viewed..

Back