What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Numb Brain - Could use some help here

Tacticalbaton

Hey Mark; Well I have returned again. It seems like you always come home when you need some guidance. I don't even want to try a count the years since you got me started in photoshop but the addiction has grown. I'm in a bit of a pickle over a photographic image as to how to approach fixing it. I have tried different things but when I correct one area I mess up the other. I'm trying to get balance with the colors but I am just missing something. Even now that it is in digital form my problem is half the picture has been yellowed with age and exposed to the elements and the other half is fine. I am trying to bring back the original colors in the damaged half with out effecting the good half. I thought masking would work but I am doing something wrong. I would love to post the picture but I am not really sure how to do it in this forum. Thanks Gord

hey, what things have you messed with? did you mess with the curves or levels? contrast, saturation? \:/

I've fiddled with the colour balance and strengthened the reds - is this nearer the original colours?
Also slightly sharpened with unsharp mask.

Hi Shaun;

I appreciate you giving this a try but my problem is not the color of the fire engine. The left hand side has yellowed and faded drastically and you only have the one quarter on the right hand side that is close to the original. I need to bring both together to reflect the proper colors. I have actually masked both sides on separate occasions to see if I can get the colors to match up. I have also split the picture into two separate files trying to use the profile of one to correct the other. Once I have both sides equal then the color correcting becomes a breeze.

Tacticalbaton, I converted the image to LAB mode, added a level adjustment layer and used its mask to mask the left side. I added a second levels adjustment layer, removed its mask and copied the one of the previous adjustment layer. I then inverted this mask. I made adjustments with 1st and 2nd adjustment layer until left and right side of image matched.
I merged the result on a new layer with Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E and did some minor adjustments with a few tools. I don't have any reference photographs of this truck so I don't know if the red color is correct.
It's a prety messed up photograph, so don't expect wonders Tacticalbaton.

BlueFlare;

You are awesome :surprised: This picture has been driving me crazy. I really appreciate you writing out the steps. I had pretty much tried everything that you had done but I never thought about inverting the mask. Its people like you that really make this forum one of the best out there. Thanks again for all your help!

Bit more fiddling with colour balance. Split the picture, cutting the rhs onto a new layer and then adjusting
colour balance, contract and sharpening. I think Tacticalbaton has got the ground a better colour than I have.

Back