What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Object Selection Tool question.

GracieAllen

HOW do I embed the "Delete and fill selection" command from the Object selection tool context menu into an action?

I tried this question in the fer-real Photoshop forum and I couldn't even get a response from someone that'd HEARD of the thing.

I've been using the Delete and fill selection. It is NOT the same as a Content-Aware Fill. The result is different, and better in some situations. It works pretty well most of the time. BUT, there are times when it works better if I do the selection then modify the selection using Select>Modify BEFORE selecting "Delete and Fill Selection" from the context menu.

I'd like to put this in an action, but I can't figure out how to put the "Delete and fill selection" INTO the action. I can use the shortcut Shift+backspace, and it appears to work, but HOW do I put this in an action?

The one that's in the Adobe Photoshop Community thing? Didn't get anything useful there, so I figured a forum of Photoshop Gurus would know how to get a command from a context menu into an action. It's beyond my meager action skills.

Hi GracieAllen
I too could not get the Delete and Fill contextual menu option to record in Actions either.
You might want to post that in the Adobe Community Forum as a bug or feature request.

It very well may be beyond what you want to do is to do this by a script. A common approach is to record the steps with the Scriptlistener Plugin. If you want to get a feel for what is involved here is a link: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/downloadable-plugins-and-content.html
There is some work to strip out exactly what you want to include in what was recorded

Then you can call that script via File > Script > Browse to where you save the script or you can call the script through an Action as well

It is quite a bit of work to take this path yet I bet it would work
John Wheeler

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like the best idea would be for Adobe to put the command in a normal menu so it could be recorded...

Back