What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

obtaining only the outside lines of objects

7january

hi,
say we have a photo, like a machine part...I would like to obtain only the outside lines of the objects inside the photo...I try to create something like cross-section of the photo...is it possible with photoshop ?
thanks a lot...

Hi 7january

Yes it is. To give you detail steps I would need to know how much you know Photoshop tools.

BTW I love your name, I was born on seventh day in January!

hi,
thanks...
I have not much photshop knowledge...between 0-1000, then my knowledge is may be 18 :)
by the way I am going to send a private message...

Hmm.. in that case, I will have the sample for you in hour or so..

1. Open your image

2. copy original image to a new layer

THE BEST WAY :

1. pen tool

( search PSG FORUM key word : PEN TOOL)

make a selection >clicking on the paths and choose the doted circle)

add layer mask ( on the bottom next to "f" icon)

if you want click on the mask and press CTRL+J to copy selection to a new layer.

Turn of visibility of original layer.

Layers order looks like such:

I think what the OP is talking about is taking a photograph and turning it into line-art.... which is much harder and there isn't a really good solution for. There are filters like "find edges" but they are more "artistic" than accurate. The best thing to do in that case would be to actually use the pen tool to draw the outlines by hand.

If that's not the case, maybe some more explanation, or even better and example image, would be greatly helpful 7january.

Welcome to the forums, btw.

Back