What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filters Oil Paint looks different when image is transformed larger.

Thevisi0nary

I am making a cat portrait painting for a family member (head of a cat imposed over a portrait of a person).

The first image below is a screen shot of the initial draft. The original jpeg of the painting I used was too low res for printing, so I found a higher res image of it and started a new file.

The cat head that I used in both files is exactly the same, the only difference is in the second photoshop file I made it larger with transform. For whatever reason, even with IDENTICAL filter settings on the same image, the oil paint and paint daubs filters look absolutely nothing like the draft version. To be clear these are smart filters on a smart object (not rasterized).

What do I do? I don’t know what to do and could really use some help.

18CCD4C5-33E0-4897-A90A-1C7220EDCAA5.jpeg

655FC6D7-6A1E-4566-A73E-7CD75DC1C97E.jpeg

Hi @Thevisi0nary

Unfortuantely some PS filters are based on pixel dimensions as opposed to a percentage of the whole image size. I believe the oil paint filter falls in that category so by neccistiy you would need different filter settings.

If the higher resoltuion image is also higher quality (not just resolution), then there is a workaround.
You downsize the higher quality image to the first image you had, run the oil paint filter with the original settings and then upsize the image.

Not sure that is what you want yet hope it helps
John Wheeler

Hi @Thevisi0nary

Unfortuantely some PS filters are based on pixel dimensions as opposed to a percentage of the whole image size. I believe the oil paint filter falls in that category so by neccistiy you would need different filter settings.

If the higher resoltuion image is also higher quality (not just resolution), then there is a workaround.
You downsize the higher quality image to the first image you had, run the oil paint filter with the original settings and then upsize the image.

Not sure that is what you want yet hope it helps
John Wheeler

Thank you very much, it’s definitely helpful and I will try that. It’s not ideal since I can’t tweak as I go but an option is better than no option!

Is there a filter that could replicate the difference in pixel density similar to making the image smaller without actually changing the size?

Is there a filter that could replicate the difference in pixel density similar to making the image smaller without actually changing the size?

You could try the 'Mosaic' filter...
FILTER > PIXELATE > MOSAIC

With the upper layer opacity reduced a little you should be able to get the 'pixel' size with the 'Cell Size' setting pretty much bang-on....close enough anyway.
No idea if it will work but the idea certainly sounds like it should. (Remember to first restore the opacity if you need to)

Good luck.

Regards.
MrToM.

Hi @Thevisi0nary
There is a way to do this with heirarchical Smart Objects.

1) I have an starting image (could be any image and any format including a layered file). This is a recent picture of our cat sitting at the door waiting for Spring weather :)

Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 6.26.56 PM.jpg

2) I loaded this into PS as a Smart Object, then reduced the size via layer Transform to 20% of original size. The I applied the Oil Paint Filter to the reduced resolution version via the Smart Object. If you zoom in you can see the Oil Pain effect.

Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 6.27.27 PM.jpg

3) I turn this into another Smart Object, use the Layer Transform and enlarge by 500% back up to the original size:

Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 6.27.42 PM.jpg

So to adjust the Oil Paint Filter, open up the Smart Object, change Oil Paint filter settings, and make sure to Save the lower level Smart Object Cmd+S or Cntl + S for PCs and jump back to the PS tab for the higher level Smart Object.

Hope this helps
John Wheeler

Back