What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Book

stOrM!

Heya!

I need to create a really old looking book (kinda like this:

nec4.jpg

but where can I find a tut for it on how to make one?

I'm searching yet since 4 hours but havent found anything [confused]

Maybe someone have a link for me or some or explanation for me?

Would be great thanx really much!

kindest regards
s!

Anamacha

what do you need it for? what qualities dop you NEED it to have, and what would you just LIKE it to have? There are several attributes in that picture you posted that one could consider -- the text (the font), the handwritten feel, the picture in it, the use of ornamented drop caps, and so on.

Have you tried creating it yourself? Have you tried looking on google's image search? http://images.google.com

That's usually a good place to start, anyway.

C

Chester

Anamacha said:
Have you tried creating it yourself?
now thats a good idea.

Storm!, it takes most of us quite some time to tell you how to do this and trust me, you wont find many tutorials either...why dont you try it yourself first and ask us om advice when youre stuck.

its not all that difficult...this quick one took me some 30 min and im not all that talented

stOrM!

re

Hey!

I am already trying :)

Ok to asked more specific:

1. How to get the wet look on the pages which you have probably noticed from the original...

2. What should I do to simulate multiple pages?
Should I just copy the layers and the rearange them?

3. How to build the look, where both pages of the book come together (the middle part of the book?

Next time I come up with my first try, I'm already in the creation process!

kindest regards
s!

stOrM!

re

Hey Chester?

Not talented?? I would't say that your try looks great to me!

C

Chester

thanks

ok, here we go:

1. How to get the wet look on the pages which you have probably noticed from the original...

use a soft brush, blending modes, opacity, maybe some doge, burn or sponge, some gaussian blur, just play and fiddle. to get wet edges (B), select "wet edges" in the brush palette

2. What should I do to simulate multiple pages?
Should I just copy the layers and the rearrange them?

different ways to do it. in my example (C) i used stroked paths

3. How to build the look, where both pages of the book come together (the middle part of the book?

the effect is exaggerated in the following example to show you in detail how it works

select the left half of the book (D), add a clipping layer and use a linear gradient to create the left side of the center of the book. then select the right side of the book and do the opposite. take a soft white brush (new clipping layer again) and pull down from the left edge downwards (hold down the shift key); adjust opacity and blending mode. do the same with the right side, this time with a dark brush, which I forgot to show in my attachment (depends all on where your light will be coming from)

To get a curved page (E); rotate the book, select the upper part and add shear (filter, distort, shear). do the same with the lower part.

the text... use the distort perspective tool first to distort the selection, rasterize layer and use the liquify tool to distort it even more. be careful not to blur the text too much. sharpen the text slightly when youre done. other way to do it; type a text in Illustrator (A), ungroup and move or deform the text using the deform tools (lot of work though).

and then there are thousands of other ways to do all this?but that?s exactly the fun of photoshop; no limits!

stOrM!

re

Wow thank you great explaning! :D

I'll get into it and hopefully have a great result as you have! :perfect:

kindest regards
s!

C

Chester

good luck Storm and most important; just have fun and results will come automatically!

stOrM!

re

Damn!

Forgot something to asked !!!

How to get the ripped edges around the book pages?

I was playing around with this:

Selecting a page... going into the channels saving the selection using this filter: pixelate / crystalize then back to the layer and so on...

it seems you're using a much different filter or whatever to resolve the effect!?

regards
s!

C

Chester

i select the page (ctrl + left click) and apply the wave filter to the mask.. you wont get it right the first time...it will take some patience

in the meantime i played a bit more with it, since its those little details that make an image work

thanks man, you inspired me! :D

C

Chester

important thing i wanted to mention; use clipping layers as much as possible. if you want to add shadow or higlights to the pages, maybe some dirt, do it on a clipping layer.. avoid to touch the original page if not really necessary... this way you can always correct your mistake very easily
at some point you will have to merge some layers...but only do this if really needed

stOrM!

re

I will do what I can since I'm a beginner and more into coding things then into graphical once...

Hopefully I can receive such a nice effect...

Helpful would be to see a psd... or something wher I can see whats done on the layers...

Currently I'm trying to get the dirt look on the first paper using clouds... [confused]

stOrM!

re

No problem cauze of inspiration your result is so great cant tell!

absolutly what I need :D

You know what kind of book that is???

It's the necronomicom 8[

C

Chester

Necronomicon? oh, some kind of spell book i guess.

btw, good to apply some slight clouds to the page, i did that too, but dont depend on it to get the stains... for that youll need a brush or any other tool. see, thats what you have to learn mostly by practice... how to use the brush and which one; very important in scenes like this

i added a screenshot of my layers palette... dumb enough i made the mistake by saving a merged version over the one with the clipping paths in an earlier stage :\

you might get an idea though what i meant by using clipping layers

stOrM!

re

Ah ok !

Well the necronomicon it the opposite to the bible written with blood 8[

You might now the movie dance of the devils? :)

stOrM!

re

Thats how my paper is currently looking...

Damn! I was using so many different technics (brushes+airbrushing+pattern overlay+masks) that now I have no Idea how to recreate my own paper [confused]

C

Chester

hey storm, serious, that looks really good!

nothing wrong with using all these different techniques, i do that all the time. its also not that important to know how you did it.
i seldom do things exactly the same way... remember the shadows and highlight is was talking about earlier, using the brush.... after i wrote that i started using irregular selections instead, filled with black using blur and opacity. see, thats what i mean, for a book like this one could write countless tutorials...

stOrM!

re

Thanx!

Well I agree with you, it seems to be to much work writing a tut for it!

I will see if I can get a bit closer to the original...

But tomorrow I guess getting really late here!

Well but really thanx a lot for all your patience with a beginner :D

kindest regards
s!

C9Mouse

Power User
Hi stOrM! -

One method for making a piece of paper with rough edges is to draw a rectangular selection (or you can use the Rectangle in the Shapes menu) and fill it with white (or any color you choose). Then go to the File menu and choose Filter>Brush Strokes>Spatter. In the dialogue box that pops up you can change the settings to "roughen" the edges, then click OK.

There is also a great Photoshop action called Attic Paper that creates this awesome old paper effect, just like you're looking for. I have the action myself, but I'm at work right now. When I get home I'll come back here and post the action and you can upload it if you want.

stOrM!

re

Hey Mouse!

Sure that would be cool, in the moment I'm still into the paper itself to create it much realistic hopefuly [confused]

kindest regards
s!