What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Book

C9Mouse

Power User
You can upload the action (when I get it here) and in Photoshop you can run it and examine how it was done. That's what I did, and when I figured out how it was done I applied what I learned from that action to create my own design, as in this example here:

http://www.photoshopgurus.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4031

If you click on the small arrow in the upper right hand corner of the Actions palette you can choose to Set Playback Options - pick Step by Step, or have it Pause for a certain amount of time, that way you can examine each step of the action and examine how it was done.

Once you see how the effect was accomplished then you can use the methods in your own designs.

C

Chester

storm, heres another way to add more realism to the paper

select the paint bucket tool, pattern and select the 'Grayscale Paper' patterns (see attachment)

use it to fill one of your clipping layers on top of your paper.
select the right blending mode and opacity. you might also consider to apply levels or curvers to this pattern to bring out only those details that are needed

stOrM!

re

Still working on it %}

Really I can't believe that I spent so many hours for just improving the look of the paper :D

So here is the current result...
I am satisfied with it now...

For the ripped edges around the paper I used filter/brush strokes/spatter values at 19/15

Ok now it scares me on how to make the multiple pages I'm still not sure about it [confused]

current result...

C9Mouse

Power User
Re: re

stOrM! said:
Hey Mouse!

Sure that would be cool, in the moment I'm still into the paper itself to create it much realistic hopefuly [confused]

kindest regards
s!

stOrM!

I am trying to help you in making it more realistic. That's why I'm posting here. Here is the Action I told you about:

stOrM!

re

Ah cool I'll try it out ...

thx!

:D

stOrM!

re

Short preview!

Thanx all I know how to resolve what I need now!

:D

C

Chester

looking good storm, but initially you asked us how to make a book, but in the end you mostly did the paper and copy/pasted the text, the two square 'icons' and the drawing and that doesnt teach you a lot

why didnt you take it a bit further than just the paper?

stOrM!

re

You're right!

But thats while its really time comsuming...
So I overlayd the paper with a book I found...

I know that it doesnt teach me but in the end it shows me on how to work with the airbrush tool and the wet brushes I've never worked before...

I would love to make a book on my own but I was afraid to asked again cause I don't understand the stroke path thing you mentioned, so if you don't mind then please explan me again ??? :)

regards
s!

Tracy

Very simply duplicate the paper layer about 3 times adding a small drop shadow to each, bump up 3 to 5 pixels and deform inward about 2 pixels per page. Use Liquify to sort of distort at least the 1st page dodge and burn the distortions so that you get a sort of realistic looking wave. You also need to shape the page as if it were an open book. I used guides placed toward the bottom and center of the book splitting it up in half. Ellipse selection in add mode to create 2 on the bottom, cut and past, move to the top of the book to get the distortion. I am sure liquefy would work for this as well, but I was looking for precision.
booksample.jpg

Sorry it's may be slightly fuzzy or distorted this was a high res psd file that somehow lost it's trnaslation in resizing.[/img]

ljiljana

Guru
The way I did mine is:
Make separate layer for left and right page. Duplicate layers few times and nudge each page. To band the pages I used displacment map.
I am still working on this:

Hope this can help. :)

Erik

Guru
Good work, Liljana.

I suppose it is your intention to change the texture a bit as for now it is quite symmetrical?

ljiljana

Guru
Thanks Eric I appreciate your comment very much. :)

Yes, it is work in progres, there are a lot of things I have to change and add ( higthlights and the shadow) pictures and text...

C

Chester

very good ljiljana, that one looks really old!

actually its quite some fun to make a book; there are many techniques involved. i hope that more people get inspired by storms thread like tracy with their great example.

C

Chester

wow, thats looks really good ljiljana; something that was already good is only getting better!

i would like to make suggestions and if had any i would make them for sure (as people might know by now...), but i just dont have any.

im looking forward to see what youre going to add more

go, girl, give it your best, dont stop now! :perfect:

Tron

Guru
You guys are all doing great at the inside of the book, so I thought I would do the cover for ya :rofl:

ljiljana

Guru
Thanks Chester. I will post final image. :)

Rick

Good point and nice work. glad you join. :)

ljiljana

Guru
Nice avatar Rick.

...and this is what i did with the book so far:

cz-

Lily, Great Work!

Only one comment really. The multiple pages look a little "repeated" to me..

But this is really great work!
Keep it up :D :perfect: