What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old deteriorated text - Blade Runner ID badge

spoudastis

Hi,

Im working on replicating Deckard's ID from the original 1982 Blade Runner. I have the base of the badge completed and am ready to start grunging it up. The general grunge is no problem, I have brushes that will do the trick but I dont know a way to replicate how the text is deteriorated (especially on the back side). I experimented the old fashioned way of making a copy of a copy of a copy but in the end I was never able to achieve the same effect.

The effect I am trying to achieve is like a textured or pixelated halo around the text. Does anyone have any ideas on a way to do this in PS? The badge was made in Illustrator and is now a raster image in PS. I am attaching a jpeg here of both the original prop and my clean badge base.

I appreciate any ideas you can share.

BR_ID_Front_web.jpg BR_ID_back_web.jpg

BR Blank_ID_web.jpg

I don't have access to my pc right now so i cant tell you exact steps but you can try this.
1. Duplicate layer
2. On bottom layer add gaussian blur (0.3 - 0.5)
3. Add lots of noise
3. than nudge the layer so bottom layer is visible below text.
4. play with the opacity or you can use lite eraser to make the noise effect lighter and random.

I think that strategy will work. Here is what I am trying and will post images of when I get it working a bit better

1. Duplicate layer
2. filter -> pixelate -> mezzotint
3. set layer to screen
4. add a mask to hide all
5. start to paint back the noise in specific locations with a grainy brush

Also going to use a bit of pixelate -> fragment to blur the text a bit in places.

Thanks your your help!

I don't have access to my pc right now so i cant tell you exact steps but you can try this.
1. Duplicate layer
3. Add lots of noise
4. play with the opacity or you can use lite eraser to make the noise effect lighter and random.

Thought I would post up my final badge. Amberlithe "x" and photo will be added after printing.

1. Duplicate layer
3. Add lots of noise

badge grunge.JPG

Back