What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old PSD layers (large files) not compatible with photoshop CC

Janeames

I have some old psd files - these are composites which are large. I didn't realize that I cannot open these layer files either in bridge nor open in photoshop. I get the message "these layer files are not compatible with new version of photoshop" This is the CC version. Can anyone help?

thebestcpu

Guru
I have not had that error yet other have.
Here is a link of some methods that might work to fix the problem
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello. I've also never had to deal with this error.

I did some searches, and I cant find any feedback on "these layer files are not compatible with new version of photoshop". Are you sure this is how the error reads? It actually reads "layers" or "layer files"?

Could it have read, "Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop"? Or, "PSD file not compatible with this version of Photoshop"?

A screenshot of the error would be great if possible.

I have read that you can try accessing a "non compatible" PSD file using another Adobe program and convert them into new PSD files. Do you have any other Adobe programs?

Let us know!

puraidodes

You could try - Try saving it again if it works.

nurgle

side note.. you can often open Photoshop files, even if you dont own a working version of photoshop, but drag & drop onto iPhotos or apple Photos... it will open as a single layer image (and may or may not have any effects), but it will give you access to images in a hurry. Sandy

Janeames

Hello. I've also never had to deal with this error.

I did some searches, and I cant find any feedback on "these layer files are not compatible with new version of photoshop". Are you sure this is how the error reads? It actually reads "layers" or "layer files"?

Could it have read, "Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop"? Or, "PSD file not compatible with this version of Photoshop"?

A screenshot of the error would be great if possible.

I have read that you can try accessing a "non compatible" PSD file using another Adobe program and convert them into new PSD files. Do you have any other Adobe programs?

Let us know!
It is layer files. I went to adobe, spent ages talking to them. I downloaded 2020 verson of photoshop as they suggested, then I realized that the file was created by the 2019 version of ps and unfortunately adobe did not retain 2019 version. I only have the lightroom, bridge and photoshop programs. All the other outside programs to fix this problem, flattens the layers. which I have copies of JPGs. I just prefer to get the original psd file I worked on.