What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Stroke Dragon Painting

arndappels

Hello,

I was wondering if it is at all possible to create a brush in Photoshop that lets you mimic the style of painting as done in the linked video:
The idea is to have this brush make the "scaled" dither pattern in one stroke... or maybe this is too complicated and needs to be done with layers I dont know, any suggestions or thoughts on this would be highly appreciated.

Attached are a few examples paintings.

Thank you in advance for any tips or suggestions on the matter.

91RW03Lp+AL._AC_SY679_.jpg

japanese_dragon_painting_DRG_H_0090_1_1500x.jpg

one-stroke-dragon.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just letting you know that the forum is not ignoring you, some, like myself, may be exploring a way to re-create this type of effect. Please be patient with us.

JeffK

Guru
Just letting you know that the forum is not ignoring you, some, like myself, may be exploring a way to re-create this type of effect. Please be patient with us.
I did try. I created a patterned brush with a scaled image - but the moment I pulled the brush forward, I ended up with a smeared image. A digital brush just isn't the same as a Sumi brush. The pattern the artist is creating is also from a "stuttering" movement of his hand as he draws the brush forward. Don't know if that can be reproduced with PS brushes.
My knowledge is limited. But not sure if a brush is the solution. Then again, there are some incredibly talented people here who may find a way.
Still thinking about it myself...
- Jeff

JeffK

Guru
This is just an initial and simple try...

Just creating a brush to do what you ask wasn't possible for me. So then I thought to possibly create a shape that I could fill with a repeating pattern.
I opened PS and created a layer with a sample image of snake skin. Then I created another layer underneath it and just using a brush on the layer, dragged it into a snake-like shape.
Then I create a clipping path on the snake skin so it would show thru the brush.

Here's what it looked like:

1610219599647.png

I'll have to play with it a bit more but still unsure you can create the exact design created by that artist's brush. But you can create a path using a brush and fill it with a pattern.

Will also try to refine this - I just wanted to test how it would work...

- Jeff

Rich54

Guru
I'm not very good at brush dynamics or all the controls that come with graphics tablets, but I was able to come this far. Maybe this will spark some ideas from others. I started with a standard Photoshop brush—a grass stalk brush—and played with the brush dynamics. Then I applied pretty much every layer style there is. My result is nowhere near as good as the samples provided, but at least I have created an undulating, rib-like form using just one brush stroke.

Dragon.jpg

arndappels

This is what I've managed to get so far (WIP) with a Mixer brush, pretty close to the paint style, but missing the incorparated 'dither' or scaly pattern and ....... must try further! I just know there is a solution for this in one brush :D

Dragon_Large_Test.jpg

arndappels

Chrisdesign, thanks for that I'll try those along with what I have so far, see what it'll produce.

My impression is that the grey part of the Dragon scale brush was more bold and sharper on your first image.
Though the snake curves in the image look great now.