What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Open Open with...

ooptea

for some reason when i right click on a file (jpeg bmp ect) and do Open or Open with.. it will not allow me to choose PS:CS2 when i hit browse and goto the folder and tell it to use photoshop.exe it just closes and nothing happens. has anyone run into this problem before. it doesnt happen at home just on my work machine. \:] :(|

Ya know what, that happened to me when I first started using CS2.

When I first installed CS2, it worked fine, then it crashed on me and something changed and I couldn't open jpeg files by right clicking to CS2.. didn't have that option and everytime I tried to just double click the jpeg to open it in bridge, it opened it on a web page setting. DROVE ME BATTY! Is this similar to your problem?

I never could figure it out, I upgraded comps shortly thereafter and when I installed CS2 to the new comp, everything worked peachy again.

I wish I knew how to fix it, but I don't, sorry! :(| But you're not alone, there must be a fix out there somewhere, I'll keep my eyes peeled for you, because I'm feeling your pain. If I recall, I was clicking and dragging the jpeg over to the CS2 desktop to open it up.

I assume you are on Windows. If so, there a few things that can cause this, but basically the registry entries have most likely been stuffed up by something.

One possible way to fix it:
Take a file, right click on it, select Properties. On the General tab it should have "Type of file:" followed by "Opens with:". If that says Photoshop CS... then I do not know what the problem is without looking at your system :).

If it says anything else (another application, or "Unknown application") then click on "Change..." and select Photoshop CS. It should fix it, but you will need to do it for each image file type.

Hope that helps.

Fixing this issue is going to require you to edit the registry on your machine, or re installing the software. If you have never done this, or done it once or twice, I don't recommend you do it. If something gets messed up or typed wrong, you could end up with far more problems than you bargained for. Here is a freeware program for personal use.

If you can't fix it, try this

http://www.baxbex.com/openexpert.html

Chuck

thanks guys but i think i will just deal with it. its just on my work machine anyway and not my home pc so its not a big deal i jsut wanted to know if anyone had run into this b4 and chillman that app looks ok but its faster to just alter your send to folder via explorer then install a 3rd party application imho :}

CS2 is slill buggy. I took it off and returned to CS. I'm waiting for some updates before I reload it. I know of a pre-press operation that loaded CS2 on their Macs. Ran it for a week and uninstalled. Many bugs.

Wat [confused] .....No problems here. I've had CS2 for about 2-3 months and I havn't ran into a single problem. \:]

let me qualify that then. If you peruse the internet, you'll find many, many complaints about PS2, especially the fact that it runs slow on many machines. Mines one of them. I have a gig of ram on the PC. and a scratch disk devoted to PS, (80 gigs) with a pentium 3.4 processor. That machine is clean (internet free) no registry issues. It has Illustrator CS2 and In Design CS2 running on XP Pro SP2. That's all thats on it. I can't get Photoshop CS2 to run properly. slow-slow-slow. And the Bridge crashes. Go on Google and search 'Photoshop CS2 running slow. See what you get.

That's horrible, ronmatt, to have a clean, dedicated machine and still have CS2 problematic. The same complaints which caused you to uninstall are occasionally exhibited on the Mac side as well but somewhat less often, it seems. }:\

Oh, man. [stuned] Guess I'm just lucky or something.....

My CS2 is slow as well, not the tools, but the interface and yes, I tried everything people adviced in Adobe's newsgroup. So I haven't been using it since the day it was released; what a waste of money.

Back