What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overlaying Images On Hoodies Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Witterings

Banned
I'm fine overlaying images onto a picture of a model wearing a blank t-shirt and resizing etc. but when I'm trying to superimpose a design onto a hoodie it goes over the top of the draw chords and doesn't look right.

Can anybody point towards a tutorial that would cover this so the draw strings show on top of the image (I have googled and not found any videos for it) or walk me through the process on here??

I am kind of a beginner with Photoshop and haven't got my head round layers yet so would need treating with kid gloves.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey! Long time no see!

This is very simple. Isolate/select the draw strings, then add a layer mask on the overlay image.

Are you familiar with layer masking?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hoodie
Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 10.54.45 AM.png

Hoddie with draw strings under logo
Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 10.55.02 AM.png

Hoodie with logo under draw strings
Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 10.55.15 AM.png

Layers panel
Note: I just used the Brush Tool (set to black) on the layer mask.
Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 10.55.39 AM.png

Witterings

Banned
Hey! Long time no see!

This is very. Isolate/select the draw strings, then add a layer mask on the overlay image.

Are you familiar with layer masking?

It's certainly been a while :)

You've achieved exactly what I'm hoping to do but unfortunately not .... that's all gone whooosshh over my head but I'll start googling for layer masks.

Witterings

Banned
I'm really struggling to get clean lines between the draw strings and the logo.
My Process: I'm dragging the hoodie on, then the logo and resizing / positioning before placing it and creating a layer mask and have tried using both the brush and the erasure tool adjusting the size as needed.

I've attached my finished attempt along with the original hoodie and png although had to reduce the size of the files.

Extra Inverse.png

Extra Layover.jpg

Hoodie.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
and have tried using both the brush and the erasure tool adjusting the size as needed.
Never ever use the Erasure Tool!!!!! When working with a layer mask, it's black and white colors only!

I'm not sure of there' any way to select and isolate the draw strings??
Forget this statement. We are using the Brush Tool which is the simplest way mask the draw strings. So we are not really selecting/isolating (in the true meaning of the Ps term) anything.

Your masking looks fine to me.

Here's mine for this hoodie and logo....
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 5.01.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 5.01.59 PM.png

Here's the video of how I did it........

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
An explanation as to the banning of the member who started this thread. This member was Pm'ing me asking for additional help as they were having a hard time understanding how to use the Brush Tool on a layer mask. I suggested that he continue to post in his thread and offer his hoodie and logo example in hopes that others might join in and offer help. Which he did. I would also help out further in any way I could.

Thinking that the layer mask and Brush Tool were still the best and easiest way to achieve the results he was looking for, I then went to moderate efforts to AGAIN show my results using his examples and to also complete a video on how I did it with hope that he might glean some information that he had not yet considered by watching my workflow.

I made post #9 at 5:29pm June 5, 2019

I then received a PM from the member at 5:42 pm June 5, 2019.......
Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 9.26.15 AM.png

...where the member claims that he has not received help in his thread.......
...but I posted a query in the main forum I still don't have an answer..

After the member claimed that I had not made post #9, relations with this member broke down quickly from there resulting in his posting of a new thread aimed directly at further insulting me and the forum. That thread was deleted. This was an unfortunate turn of events.

While I might not offer the best and most accurate advice, I do my very best to offer everyone help. If it's not fulfilling your needs, then I have done my best and it's up to others in the forum to offer new and different opinions and advice. Resorting to insults and abusive behavior is NOT the proper way to get results.

I may have to stop offering help altogether. I've grown leery of attempting to offer help to Ps newbies who have unrealistic expectations for immediate and absolutely perfect results with as little effort as possible. The times have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.