What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Packaging design - Noobie question

puraidodes

Could someone please explain this to me?
I'm a bit confused since I'm new at this. I'm skilled in design, but I'm a beginner in print and packaging.
I understand the basics of cut and die lines, bleed, safe, the gluing regions, but I'm not sure where to measure the length, width, and height.
Are the measurements provided for individual sides or for the entire package? In my previous designs, the measurements were clearly specified for each side and flap, unlike this.
I'm feeling a bit lost here. Unfortunately, I can't decline this task. Could someone explain it a bit further? Thanks!

400g.jpg

As someone who worked in sales and production of custom packaging, I would first give a description of what the box is, ie folded 4-sided tube with end flaps. Then I would give an overall flat size and then finished size. Provide a diagram with measurements of each panel. Indicate if any flaps are glued.
Vendor may make some incremental changes based on material, ie folding board vs corrugated. Ask for a prototype for final approval before finalizing die.

Similar to yours and what I described above. The flap sizes in this template ate determined by the finished box size.
Let me know if you have any questions or would like me to take a look at your finished diagram
- Jeff
Screenshot_20231012_144849_Google.jpg

Okay, thanks for the explanation.
So, the designed size is not always the accurate final size? Should I make room for that in bleed because of the material used?
Btw, for now, they are looking for a mockup.

They provided me with this diagram and asked for a mockup design for this snack package. I got confused by the measurements provided, specifically the length, width, and height.
When asked for clear measurements for the sides they said this was the file given to them as a sample.

So, have they provided me with the overall measurements?
According to your diagram: 90+90+50+50+ the flap + bleed = 294.5

How should I split the given diagram? It's 234 x 80 x 80.

234 - 80 (Side 1) - 80 (Side 2) = 74, including the flap.

So, the front and the back of the box will be 74/2 = 37.

If I allocate 10 mm for the flap,

The final size would be 32 (37-5 mm, from the flap) + 80 + 32 (37-5 mm, from the flap) + 80 + 10 (flap) + bleed. Is this the correct way to split it? Am I doing this right?
If so what would be the length in "?"
or am I reading the diagram wrong? I'm just confused. Sorry about this.

400g_tst.jpg

@puraidodes ,
I have no knowledge whatsoever about package design, but here is one observation that might help you.
  • If the drawing is accurately scaled, then it seems to me that 234 x 80 x 80 is the dimension of the finished box after it is folded and the flaps are tucked and glued. In other words, the dimension of 234 x 80 x 80 excludes all the flaps and the glue flap.
  • The reason I think that is: if we assume that the long dimension of the finished box is 234 and each of the four short sides are 80 (see my diagram), then that would exactly correspond to the scale of the drawing.
  • 80 divided by 234 = 0.3419. In Photoshop, I very carefully drew a line along the side that I believe is 234. Then I scaled-down that line by exactly 34.19%. If I now rotate that line 90 degrees, it exactly matches the dimension of each of the four sides.
  • If the drawing is to scale, then the overall dimension of the flattened box, excluding all flaps, is 234 x 320.

Just my uneducated opinion.
Rich

Box Dimensions.jpg

Oh, I see. I'll remove the flaps from the calculation. That makes more sense.

Yup, I believe I got confused and mistakenly assumed 234 on the wrong side.

I searched more and found a preview website to confirm this.
I also just tried to create a simple DIY check on paper and it seems to be closer to the correct ratio.

Thank you!

It isn't fair to you because they haven't supplied you with complete dimensions. You can't tell from the diagram they supplied what the length of the carton would be..
You need to ask them what the final size of the finished, folded box would be without the flaps. The flaps will determined by the width of the panels - and based on what you've provided, the flaps would add about 160mm to the total width (80mm X 2).

Ask the client for the final dimensions relating to the finished piece - here is what I'm getting so far going by your last provided schematic:

finished box proto.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree, it's best to double-check with them to ensure all the information they provided is accurate or
do they have other files available, or
if they are not sure at the very least it would be helpful if they could connect me with the who created the dieline, if possible. This way, I can clear up any confusion.

Thank you!

As often said, ain't no such thing as a stupid question. If what the client supplied is confusing, circle back and confirm.
In packaging, a visual is your best answer
And definitely make that final mockup before going to finals. :)

Back