What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Painting effect

Astroida

I saw this picture a while ago and I also found original image. So I was wondering is it possible to recreate this effect using Photoshop?

thing.jpg

Not only possible, but the probability is high that it was created in Photoshop

Many different procedures / treatments / effects were applied to the original image to get to the final version.

In fact, there are so many that it would take huge amount of typing to walk you through all of them. Instead, how about starting with a simpler task: Which of the effects would you like to learn about first?

a) The original image was scaled in the horizontal direction to restore the subject to an appropriate width.

b) The hair is simplified.

c) The tie now has a tree growing from it.

d) The white shirt is now black.

e) The background has been changed from pure black to a "radiating-rays" motif.

f) The subject's skin has been changed from a normal color to a gold-paint kinda look.

g) Extra highlights and shadows on the subject's face have been added.

Tom M

Your first image on the left, stretched to make looking normal, slight posterization.
Added Japanese sunset vector, applied grunge type dirty filter to it soft blur, played with colour saturation levels.
You can do the tree roots yourself:mrgreen:
manflag.jpg

"e), f) and g) interest me the most, and maybe b).."

Since (e), extraction of a subject from a background (so the background can be replaced) is a common and often very difficult task, I thought that some tips on this aspect might be useful.

The first step is always to try to get the highest resolution, best quality starting image as possible. I did this by using Google's Image Search function to find a better version of the "before" image than the OP posted, ie, having the correct aspect ratio (so the subject doesn't look artificially thin), and having the highest resolution (pixel dimensions).

I found the attached file.

Attachments

• quest2.jpg
    quest2.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Unfortunately, there are two problems using this as a starting image: (a) it has lots of block jpg compression artifacts in the shadow areas and (b) the guy's jacket is so dark that it merges into the background. Fortunately, these can be dealt with.

It was relatively easy to get rid of the JPG artifacts - I just ran it through Topaz's deJpg filter and it looked much better.

Extraction of a subject like this is particularly difficult because there are two distinct regions that must be dealt with separately - the frizzy hair and the sharp, almost straight line edges of the jacket against the background.

I separated the two onto different layers and extracted them separately.

In both cases, I first did a rough selection of the subject using the quick select tool. I then used "refine edges" to optimize the extraction. Since, at this point, you don't know whether the subject is going to be put in front of a light or a dark background, when you are adjusting the "refine edges" parameters, you absolutely must keep switching back and forth between a pure white and a pure black background. One can easily find yourself terribly mislead if you don't do this. Adjust the various sliders until the extraction edges look as good as possible against both backgrounds.

Save the results as separate selections for the two different parts of the subject, the head and frizzy hair, and the torso with relatively hard straight jacket edges.

Even using "refine edges" twice, the resulting selections will never look perfect, so make a 2nd copy of each of them, and carefully tweak each (always checking against both black and white backgrounds) to eliminate any odd looking halos and other edge problems. To do this, I use a combination of painting while in the "Edit in Quick Mask Mode" as well as the other selection tools such as the "Polygonal Lasso" tool.

Because the arms of his jacket were so dark that they blended right into the background on the original, it was impossible to get a good extraction using the above techniques, so, using the polygonal lasso tool, I simply used straight lines for these parts of the selection. If I was doing this for real, I would probably found another photo of a guy in a suit and did a selection on it to get some realistic creases and bumps, and then transfer that to this image.

At this point, you can merge the two sections of the subject and place him in front of any sort of background.

Pay special attention to the areas likely to be most problematic: (a) the transition between the background and the hair, and (b) around the edges of the jacket. They are certainly not perfect, but if you are going for realism, compare them to some of the extractions in this thread.

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• quest2-tjm01-acr2x-ps02a-02_flag_bkgnd.jpg
    quest2-tjm01-acr2x-ps02a-02_flag_bkgnd.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 12
Once you have the guy in front of an appropriate background, it's always easy to grunge it up in whatever way you want, but if you don't start with a good extraction, almost no matter what you do to grunge it up, it's always going to look like some kid with scissors cut it out and it will always look bogus rather than organic.

T

Back