What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PC or Mac?

lasa

Power User
What kind of computers do you all work on? PC / Mac
From what I've read a lot of you are Mac users...
I personally run on a Old PIII 600 mhz with 384 ram..
What are you all running?

I personally can not see myself useing a system that doesn't allow for a right click on the mouse! Whats up with that??!!! \:]

Lasa

Now, I'm on a PC, but I'm saving for a Mac G5. You CAN hook up a right clicker on a Mac, it just doesn't come with one. One of the rare lame-itys that mac came up with. }:\

Actually... 95% of people online are using PCs.
So the majority here would be the same.

However... nowadays the OS you use has little to do with "what's best" for running any programs; including Photoshop.

Each platform has it's specific pros and cons.
So you'd have to learn what those are to make a more educated decision on whether an OS is best suited to your specific needs.

Do yourself a favour though and don't make this kind of decision based on what other people say. People tend to gravitate to what they know best; it's only human nature after all. ;)

Get informed, get educated, then decide for yourself based on your specific criteria. :B

My main working computer is Mac G4, 1GHz processor, 2 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, 3 internal hard drives, a PCI card for the bigger hard drives and another for extra FireWire/USB2 ports. I've modified the power supply and replaced the fans with super quiet Panaflos.

I also have a nice little AMD based PC with 1GB RAM etc. but prefer the Mac for several personal reasons. The operating system, OS 10.4.2 aka Tiger is a bit more elegant than XP. I can recover from 'issues' more readily than Windows. Partly that's just familiarity but there is no Registry to get hosed. Perhaps the biggest difference is the online experience. No viruses, no spyware, no ad ware still and OS X has been around for well over 4 years. No Nortons, ZoneAlarm, Ad-Aware, Spybot needed.

Don't get me wrong, my little Windows box is a good machine. XP Home has not crashed once in 9 months, apps launch instantly (it seems compared to the Mac) and it has recognized all the hardware changes I've made without making a big deal out of it, as older versions of Windows might have.

Frankly, if I were a Windows user thinking of migrating to Mac, I would seriously consider waiting until the Intel Macs are released in a couple of years. If you got a tower, you could add a few hard drives, use one for the Mac OS, one for Windows, and one for a scratch disk. I believe that is the strategy I'm going to pursue.

Oh about the right click business. I've been using Intellimouse Explorers for years and have all the buttons configured. I couldn't get on without them. One button mice pfffftttt!

I use both. I have G5 Panther that I use primarily for print projects. Being that most all pre-press is Mac workflow I find that fonts and color is dealt with more effectively when created within the platform used for outputting film or ctp. I use a PC for everything else because I learned on a PC and it has become second nature to me. I am far more comfortable on it. I really don't find one to be any better than the other. But the Mac seems to crash more often than the PC

I'll soon use both: my Pc is an AMD Athlon 64 2800+ with 1GB of RAM, one Raptor Hard drive (10 K rpm) and two other 7200 rpm ones, Wacom Tablet, La Cie 19" monitor, Epson 2450 scanner and 2100 printer and I expect a Powerbook Titanium G4 15" 1Ghz 1GB ram anytime soon!!!!

Have been a Mac user since '85. Switched to PC's about four years ago. Am going back to Mac and am awaiting my new G5 as we speak. :D

I wish I was waiting for a G5! :(|
I'm on a PC now: (AMD 64 2.2ghz, I gig ram, Radeon 9800 pro, 200 gigs of HD storage.) I only get to view everything on a dinky little 1024x768 14in. monitor! :(
I'm saving for a G5 though. :D

Well I was using a Speak n Spell with the a GameBoy hooked up to it for a monitor, then I traded that in for a Mac, then I sold that cause I got alot more work done with the Speak n Spell / GameBoy setup.

( Just Kidding )

I have a P4 1.8 512 Megs of Ram, Nvidia Video, 2 Maxtor 60 Gig drives, LG DvD burner and a LG CD Burner.

SnowDog

Back