What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pen Tool Selection.

SMOk3

Power User
Hi all, is there a way to make multiple selections with the pen tool?
Let's say I wanted to select only the red parts on the dart board,
how would I go about this with the pen tool? Or is there some setting
I need to change?

Attachments

• Dart-Board.png
    Dart-Board.png
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • Dart-Board1.png
    Dart-Board1.png
    500.8 KB · Views: 8
If pen tool not work for you just use top menu for Selection / Color Range like below. It can select just red parts then delete red parts not wanted.
864 02-May-18.jpg
Then use Refine Edge
865 02-May-18.jpg
Seems to work good.
866 02-May-18.jpg
I know this not answer your pen tool question but alternative till answer come from other member.

Hi @IngridO, thanks for the feedback. But I was just curious regarding the pen tool and was using the dart board as an example.

You just keep tracing around the Red Areas. When you close a path, you can make a new path and in the end finally turn all the paths into a selection.

Cap1.PNG
Cap2.PNG

It's this part I cannot get right "turn all the paths into a selection ". It is only selecting my last path.

Can you confirm whether your settings match with mine?

Cap1.PNG Cap2.PNG Cap3.PNG
Cap4.PNG Cap5.PNG

It's this part I cannot get right "turn all the paths into a selection ". It is only selecting my last path.
In this case I selected both paths at the same time and then make selection.
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 7.28.54 AM.png

Select all the Red areas on your dartboard with the Pen tool. At the end of each one, go to Paths, double click on the work path and save it. By the time you are finished, you should have 20 Red rectangular shapes and corresponding 20 Work Paths. Now, make a new layer, go to paths and select all paths come back to layers tab, select brush tool, choose appropriate colour and brush then select Pen tool, right click and say Stroke. Instead, you can just select "Make Selection..." instead.
The following image shows how I made each letter with the pen tool. At the end of each letter, I saved that letter's path. With all paths showing, with Pen tool selected, I can now right click and either stroke the path or select it.
1.png

Let's say I wanted to select only the red parts on the dart board,
how would I go about this with the pen tool?
Please excuse my inquiry, but I would need to know more about this scenario. The Pen Tool may not be the most accurate tool for this type of (circular) selection. It would depend on why the red spaces are being selected and what the selections are going to be used for.

I would set up center guides and center the dartboard.
I would then use the Ellipse Tool set to PATH to make the primary circles on their own separate path layers.
Note: the center red circle is would be added last.
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 12.11.21 PM.png

Next I would use the Pen Tool to make quick easy (adjustable) paths of each or the Black and red triangles.
Be sure to extend beyond the outermost circle.
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 12.14.57 PM.png

Once done, you would only have 15 separate paths that were easy and fast to create. No messing with control handles.
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 12.12.53 PM.png

Create a new layer in the layers panel.
Make a selection of the triangle paths only and fill with red....
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 12.20.25 PM.png

Over in the Paths panel Make a selection of the circle paths. Hold down the shift key and click on the path layers you wish to select.
Then hit the make selection icon located at the bottom of the paths panel.
Go back to your layers panel.
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 12.21.58 PM.png

Add a layer mask!
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 12.23.27 PM.png

Create a new layer.
Add in the center circle............done. Took about 5 minutes.
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 12.25.26 PM.png

Layers panel
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 12.27.10 PM.png

Paths panel
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 12.27.55 PM.png

Since the paths are all on their own path layer, everything is editable.

@IamSam Enlightening tutorial explained in simple words (and pictures to assist further). Thank you.
Your welcome and thanks. It's nothing different than what I have done for years on this forum.

@IamSam I was just using the dart board for an example regarding multiple selection with the pen tool. Many thanks for the tutorial.
@Nxxl, @polarwoc Thank you also.

@JJLAPIN That's got it. I realised what I was doing wrong. I was not creating a new path for each selection,
hence why only my last selection was getting selected.

Once again, thank you all for the help. :thumbsup:

edit: @Nxxl Going back through the thread, I see you already explained about "creating a new path".
My fault for rushing through the replies. Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:

Back