What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pennant Style Text?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJSim

I've been using Photoshop for 8+ years and can't seem to get the effect I want that is editable. I'm creating some pennants and want to create the text effect seen in these pennants:

toronto-maple-leafs-vintage-pennant-3336613.jpg
3916670103_1d32438b46.jpg

I've tried Skewing it but it changes the perspective and doesn't look right... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Smokey2011

the only way i know how to do this is to rasterize the layer that the text is on (layer/rasterize/layer) and then go to edit/transform/perspective

the problem here is that the text can no longer be changed to a different word when you do this

maybe someone knows of a better method

jaysuess

Type your text, make the layer into a Smart Object. Perform the perspective move on the Smart Object. If you want to change the word, double-click the Smart Object which will open a window with the original word un-skewed, retype and save. Or even better, do this edit in Illustrator.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
LOL....

You've been beating me to the punch, jaysuess... change of plans No. 3... lol...

Or you could try this.

Don't rasterize the text.

Apply Transform>Warp>Squeeze.... Set the bend to 0 to unsqeeze it.

Pennant1.jpg

Set the Horizontal Distortion to + or -50 (depends on the direction of your pennant) . Hit Enter....

Pennant2.jpg

So many ways... lol....

RJSim

Really, that's all? Man, I've been searching and tweaking for days. Thanks for all the help!

SCTRWD

Power User
Very interesting question!:cheesygrin:

RJSim, if you are satisfied with the above answers in your case, then it's OK and you may use them freely.

But, actually, none of them work well enough in the general case:
To be able to change the text freely so that it later fits appropriately in the pennant contour.

And it sure is the tricky one!:cheesygrin:

Turning a text to Smart Object in PS effectively makes it a raster layer. PS makes the raster copy of the text and all further transformations will be applied to this raster(not vector!) copy. It’s not good at all.:frown:

Using Illustrator won't help here either. Smart Object from Illustrator doesn't have all the options for transform.:frown: Turning it again to Smart Object will AGAIN make it raster:frown:

And, in general, Smart Objects can’t help here much because their transformations depend on the size and position of the original text block. And changing the text would sure as hell change its size and position!:frown:.

The same goes for Warp functions. The more so they don't give much freedom for precise transformation.

I found some workaround and to those who are interested here I will tell how you can do it.

The idea is to record an action which changes the text in the text layer, then converts it to shape, and then applies the transformation.

The only problem here is: the transformation in PS depends tightly on shape's size and position. To solve this problem we can use custom shape.

When we create an instance of a custom shape in PS, recording this as an action, PS places the instance with an absolute linear size and position in the current document. So if we later apply the transformation to this instance it will fit in the pennant contour properly.

This way if we later change the source shape, redefine the custom shape and place it in the document the resulting shape will have the very size and position we recorded in the action. And any further transformation will fit the pennant contour perfectly.

Ok, here is the action I propose:
1. Activate the current text layer.
Comment: Just double click the text layer. This step should have a toggle dialog option on, so we can change the text in our action.
2. Layer via Copy
Comment: Make the copy of our text layer, we don't want to lose it. Just press Ctrl-J.
3. Convert this layer to shape.
Comment: Just right click the layer and choose “Convert to Shape”.
4. Make custom shape
Comment: Just go to Edit->Define Custom Shape
5. Delete the shape layer. Once we’ve defined the custom shape in step 4 we don't need it any more.
6. Place the instance of this custom shape in the document.
Comment: Just anywhere, any size.
7. Transform this shape so it fits the pennant contour.
Comment: Use any transform options to make the shape fit the pennant contour.
8. Delete the custom shape we’ve created from the presets.
Comment: We don't want it to mess up with the next run of our action:)

You can freely add any other steps to customize the action for your particular case in hand.

This way you have a text layer, holding your text. Select this layer and start the action. You can change the text in the first step anyway you like: make it bigger, multiline, any format … Just anything. In the end it will eventually fit the contour of your pennant!

Status
Not open for further replies.