What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perspective Grids in Design

diarrhea

As you continue with your designing journey you will soon want to do something a little more realistic. One thing that is puzzling me right now is the perspective grids. I believe I have the answer to the question I?m about to ask but I?m not really sure and would like your inputs.

When you design in 3 dimensions you would place one global perspective grids to guide you. This global grid is the master grid, is the grid (basically the world grid) where all your objects will be place on. I?ve attached an image and orange grid is the master grid.

On top of this master grid I have decided to create two additional grids. These grids will help me in creating two objects. These two grids have different vanishing points, infact all three grids together have its own vanishing points and I?m not sure if this is OK as long there is the master grids.

Taking this a step further I decided to create another grid on top of one of the blue grids and this blue grid now becomes the master grid and the grid on top of this blue-master grid is now the child grid. And you can go on and on like the mirror effect.

Is it possible to have a lot of grids WITH different vanishing points to guide you in your designing process? Would it be right or is this defying perspective theory?

grid5vp.gif

Is it possible to have a lot of grids WITH different vanishing points to guide you in your designing process? Would it be right or is this defying perspective theory?

I believe I would be correct in saying that you can have up to 3 vanishing points, (called three-point perspective) but not the way you have them situated. If you use 3 vp's, you must have ALL objects in the scene disappear to those same 3 points, not choose a different set of 3 (or 1) for each as you have done in your example drawing here.

Many drawings will use 2 point perspective, unless you are using 3 point for dramatic effect, or are looking at large objects at strange angles. (Although 3 point is what your eyes see every day.)

Back