What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phot restoration

Ciscok9

Hi! My friend recently gave me a picture of her mother, may she rest in peace, and asked me if I could "fix" it. By fix she means sharpen the facial features of her mother and second... this is gonna be difficult... get that kid off her shoulders. Hmmm. Right. Anyway, I have messed with the healing brush, the patch tool and countless others, and am not getting any satisfying results. Does anyone have any easy to follow suggestions on what I can do with this? It would mean a great deal to my friend to have a pleasing photo of her mother to look at.
Any help at all will be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Thanx so much,
Heather :0)~

Hi Ciscok9,

Welcome to the forum. Could you give us a larger image, perhaps a JPEG of 450pixels wide? The tiny (68 pixels wide) PS image you provided isn't big enough to achieve any decent results.

Cheers!

Yes I agree. Working with an image that small is almost impossible. You've got the right idea with the clone stamp and healing brush, but you're not going to get anywhere working with that small of an image. If you have the hardcopy, scan it in at a high resolution.

Hi!
Thanx so much for your quick reply! I'll attempt to post the original as a JPEG. The first image I posted was so small cuz I kept getting an error message saying that my attatchment was to big? But I changed it to JPEG and was pleasantly suprised to see that JPEG is much smaller than a PSD! Learning new stuff already :0)~
This is scanned in at 600. Hope it flies!
Thanx again!!!

I have rescanned and posted a JPEG at 600 res. and am happy to have already learned my first lil trick... JPEG is much smaller than PSD!
Thanx so much for you quick reply, it is greatly appreciated.

PS... My friend says she has no idea who that is on her moms' shoulders, but is certain it's NOT her. And, she adds that it wouldn't break her heart to seethem go away, if thats even possible?!

Mom sure is strong to have a kid that big on her shoulders [stuned]

You have your work cut out for you with this pic. Once you get rid of the kid, mom will be standing stooped over some with her arms in a funny position.

Other than what you have been trying I can't think of an easy way to do this. Filling in the area blocked by the kid won't be easy...time to get out your artistic license and fake it.

Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion.
Best of luck with your project.

I agree. It won't be easy.
You've got the blur problem, and that kid!
It can be done, but you are talking a LOT of time and effort.
She'll also be slouching terribly after you get rid of the kid, so you will have to work on bringing her posture back into line.

Like I say, it CAN be done, but will need large amounts of work. Good luck!

The tear, where the selotape has been removed, and the creases in the photo are both blurry, so I'm guessing the photo is not quite as bad as the scan posted here.

My advice would be to make a selection of the head, neck and white area just below the neck and paste it on to a completely different body from another image.

Very little of interest will be left in the background after the boy has gone anyway. I guess you just need to find a suitable image to montage with.

It's a cheat but, I don't think you have much option.

Sark

a thought

I was staring at the picture for a bit to think of solutions about stopped shoulders. A thought came to mind. First, does the child have to be out of the picture? If not, move him lower so that she's bending over to place her hands on his shoulders while he's "sitting in front of her".. that might help? It would continue to give the picture some "action"..."movement".

If the child needs to be out, think of something she could be doing. A little thinking could make the picture quite interesting.

Tanya

for example....

Here's a very quick idea about what I mean and it included a lot of interruptions. Think of what you could do! Don't be adverse to using "hands" from another picture that would be similar..bluring them a little, etc.

Tanya

Back