What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Photo merging

BigMoistLips

Hi all!

If anybody could help then I would be most grateful.
So a friend of mine recently lost her grandfather and never got to take a photo of him holding her young daughter.
I wondered if any of you wonderfully talented artists could possibly have her sitting on his lap with him holding her?
Best case scenario it would be nice if the cake could be edited out and have both of his arms holding her would be amazing but I understand how tricky and time consuming that could be.
Alternatively, perhaps if the chair was cut out of the image of her daughter then flip her round so it looks like he is holding her with his right (left?) arm.
Many thanks, everybody.

received_452637645647158.jpeg

received_241072903980726.jpeg

JeffK

Guru
The values between the two images are very different which makes it a difficult composite. But I thought I'd take a try since it has so much meaning for you.
Tried all the tricks I know to bring the two together. Manipulated his left arm so he's holding the baby's feet. I left his right arm with the cake - somehow seem appropriate. Can always be taken out but some rebuilding would be needed there too.
Maybe others will jump in - consider this a beginning.
- Jeff
grandfather holding toddler REV.jpg

Rich54

Guru
@JeffK and @Babine,
Good job on both. I tried this one and couldn't get the positioning to where it looked convincing, so I abandoned it. If I can offer one observation... in both of your's, the baby is in much sharper focus than the man. I think the baby needs to be blurred a fair amount.

Rich

JeffK

Guru
Hi @Rich54 -
Much appreciate the review. I agree - I tried adding some blur and grain. It seemed if I pushed the blur too far, the image would flatten out especially in the face. Just a critical point where any detail would get lost. Maybe my eyes were just burned out.
The positioning was tough - pulled my wife in for editing advice...😁
-Jeff