What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo to sketch

stealthfighter547

hey, i started using Photoshop recently and i was trying to make a sketch from a photo...i tried different tutorials from the net to do this, but i am not satisfied with the end result...i tried using different filters to achieve this effect...what i want is a sketch in which brush strokes are clearly visible.. and obviously it should look like a real sketch not what has been made using photoshop filters.

Stric9

Power User
I can show you how to do this.
Drawing.jpg
HairSelection copy.jpg
If it is what you want to accomplish. It is actually five easy steps.

stealthfighter547

isnt there any other way than buying it???.....cauz i dont think i can spend $40 on it right now......and what are the 5 steps?????

Stric9

Power User
1. Duplicate your layer and desaturate it.
2. Duplicate the new desaturated layer and set to color dodge, invert Color dodge layer.
3. Gaussian blur the color dodge layer to the desired effect.
4. Merge layers on to a new layer by pressing cntrl+alt+shift+E
5. Burn the image in any area's you what brought out more with the burn tool.

If you need me to when I have more time I can provide images and go into more detail. I just don't have the time atm.

stealthfighter547

i tried it...but i want the sketch in black n white and i want to clearly see the pencil strokes as if i drew the sketch by hand....is there any way to achieve that effect???

ibclare

Queen Bee
Here's an example. I made the brush strokes, so they are probably not what you want but you can make your own a separate layer.

Attachments

• sarah_inked.jpg
    sarah_inked.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

ibclare

Queen Bee
different versions and made my own pencil strokes; other effects and blend modes in composite img. You just have to play iwth it once you have the basic structure.

To get the pencil strokes how you want them, you can just draw them on a layer with the blend modes set

If you want the steps for this technique, let me know

Attachments

• sarah_inked3.jpg
    sarah_inked3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • comp.jpg
    comp.jpg
    770.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: