What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Photo touchup.

Butters

Loved one passed away, photo touchup request please. Feel a little odd here because its so personal, so bare with me.

This is Tara and myself, it was one of many favorites of hers with us together. Unfortunately the only copy I have to myself, I'm assuming she kept the other ones.
Its very small sadly and has some fading, imperfections etc. Its real size is 1 3/4" x 2 1/2", wallet size sort of.

So I'm humbly requesting perhaps someone can try and clean up, restore, crop etc. as best as one can.
Ultimately I'd like to be able to have it resized or capable for reprint, hopefully for a 4x6, 5x7 or 8x10.

I understand some quality will be lost in resizing but I'm sure many of you know the magic on how to resize and still try and preserve as much quality as one can.
With that said, Thank You. This means a lot to me, she was taken far to early from us.
Thank you.

20210224_232658.jpg

My condolences.

When taking photos, you should make sure that there is enough light on the one hand and that the smartphone is in focus on the other.
Alternatively, use a flatbed scanner or a dslr camera.

You will only get a reasonably decent result if the digitized base material is of the appropriate quality.

My condolences.

When taking photos, you should make sure that there is enough light on the one hand and that the smartphone is in focus on the other.
Alternatively, use a flatbed scanner or a dslr camera.

You will only get a reasonably decent result if the digitized base material is of the appropriate quality.

Thank you. The lighting was about as best as could be. The focus not being sharp because the original photo is already slightly out of focus.
Unfortunately no access to a dslr.

I do have a scanner, I've never used it. Any ideas on the correct settings or resolution etc to get the best quality without 'blowing it up' to big - or to small?
Thank you!

20210225_005928.jpg

I don't know this scanner - you should use the highest optical resolution (maybe 1200dpi) and not an interpolated resolution.

Simply try it...

Hello:
Very very sorry to hear of your loss. I have my own and understand deeply how you feel.
I don't know what your scanner is capable of. But if you can, these are the settings I've used for vintage images I was hoping to restore (your scanner options might vary)

*Most importantly, carefully remove image from frame. If image is stuck to glass, remove image with glass attached to prevent damaging photo.
Make sure your scanner surface is clean and dry.
- Set exposure type as Photo
- Set image type as 24 bit color
- Set resolution at 600 dpi
- Save as a tiff file

This will create a very large file but will also provide the most information that can be used for repair and restoration. Most likely the image might be too large (ie megabytes) to send to post to us here - you can use a site such as WeTransfer to send us the image.

If there's any further guidance you need, please don't hesitate to let us know.

- Jeff

One more suggestion - if you can't find these settings on your scanner, you can always take them to a storefront printer like MinuteMan Press would scan to these specifications. I also checked this morning with my FedEx shipper storefront and they could scan a photo at least to 600 dpi and safe as tiff. Possibly even art supply stores or framing stores would provide that capability.
All things are possible...
- Jeff

Went into the image you posted and did my best to create an edited 8x10 version.
- Jeff
couple restoration edited 8X10.jpg

Back