What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop 6.0 Question

Gilmo

Hi, I'm an old time weekend Photoshop user. I use it to make personal items like logos and cards. Believe it or not, I have been using Photoshop 6.0 for the past 20+ years and it has been more than sufficient for what I want to do. Recently I wanted to try and make a logo using text curved around a circle. I know with the current version of Photoshop, I can just create an ellipses path and then hover the type tool curser over the path to get the curser with the curved line, enabling me to type around the circular path. Problem is, I don't get the curved line curser with Photoshop 6.0. I realize it's probably because this may be a feature that wasn't available way back then, but I'm assuming there must be another way to do it with 6.0. I have been banging my head for the past couple of days trying to figure it out, even resorting to going through the original 400+ page manual with no luck. I know I can do it with the current Photoshop, but at this point it has become an obsession for me to find the solution in 6.0. Is anyone out there old enough that used 6.0 and assuming it's possible, knows how to create text that wraps around a circle. And just for clarification, I do not want to use the text warp tool (which does work in 6.0). I'm hoping that it is something very simple that I am overlooking. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

[ iLLuSioN ]

Power User
Then you just have to do it by hand like in the good old days and set letter by letter by hand.

Or you just switch to a free tool like Inkscape (vector based) or use an online service like MockoFun (pixel based)

[ iLLuSioN ]

Power User
In the meantime I've installed my old PS6 (I was really surprised that it still runs on Win10).

Now I can confirm that PS6 doesn't have a "text on path" feature. And without making a selection from the path, you can't even snap guides to the center of the circle.

In addition, you have to move the reference point to the intersection of the auxiliary lines for each individual letter (also no snapping = really frustrating).

And an action that automates the whole thing is also not helpful because each letter has a different width and therefore has to be rotated by an individual number of degrees...

Not a job I would do with PS6. Then it's better to switch to a vector program like Inkscape (and open the vector file in PS if necessary).