What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Photoshop brushes have become laggy on new canvas

RobertsDigital

ok guys here is my problem......I have been painting normally on an old canvas but recently, as from this morning, when I try to paint on new canvas the zoomed brushes, like up till about 100 size still remain as size 1, then size 1 brush only makes dots. When I increase size to like 5000 it zooms a little but the lag becomes terrible. i have provided a temporary video about whats going on below.

So how do I make the new canvas to behave like the old? I have manually moved the pref to a different folder but this does not solve the issue. Anyone ever had this lag issue on new canvas? Please guys help....I have and unfinished project.

Unfortunately on the youtube video the mouse cursor isn't showing but i finish writing long before the scripts and lines do appear...It has never happened before

Last edited:
Something to test: go to edit->preferences->performance->untick use graphics processor...

Hi, i think it might have something to do with the size of your canvas. It's 600 x 300 INCHES...

Very well observed Leon...
Sometimes it is so obvious...:facepalm:

Ok, this has to do with the spacing. Unless you're using a preset, whenever you open a native brush from the brushes panel, it's default setting is at 25% spacing. You may only notice when working on large canvases or while zoomed in close.

Brushes Panel. Here I select a native Hard Round Brush.
Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 10.35.37 AM.png

Here is the Brush Settings panel.
Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 10.35.48 AM.png
If I don't alter the spacing I get this.....
Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 10.39.20 AM.png

Set the spacing to 1%
Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 10.42.19 AM.png

I get this.
Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 10.44.03 AM.png

Nope Sam thats not the issue......with what you suggested the lag now lasts 30 seconds late to form a stroke even worse than the 10 second delay before

Eggy I also did what you suggested in the preferences and the lag is still there..

Psleon, what is the ideal size?......Should it be something alternate to inches? If so, then what value? Because this problem all started when I tried increasing canvas size in the Image> Canvas Size to 12000width * 60000height but I reverted it back to 600*300 as it is now but it started lagging and continued to lag till now

But before I did not have this problem at all.....It started this morning.....

Canvas size should not dictate the operation or function of the Brush Tool.

What is your drawing mode set to?
Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 11.36.01 AM.png

Change to Basic and see if that helps. You will have to restart Ps after changing.

Have you made any recent changes to your machines operating system?

Change to basic and see if that helps. Restart Ps.

Back