What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop colors look different from exported JPEG.

PutinHuilo

I don't get it when i open image in photoshop it becomes dull colors, when save JPEG its looking very bright color, open again JPEG in PS again and colors look dull.
1.jpg
This are color profile settings inside photoshop
2.png

Last edited:
Hi @PutinHuilo

We need to narrow down the issue a bit to help debug your problem. So here are my suggestions
1) Only use Photoshop when viewing the starting and exported image (just open the exported image back in to photoshop
2) Note that for color management to work properly you need the software to be correctly color managed. Photoshop is a know quantity so viewing on a separate application should be done as a separate investigation
3) The images also need to have an embedded ICC profile for color management to work as well. So we need to verify that the incoming image has an embedded profile and that when exporting from Photoshop that an ICC profile is being embedded as well.

The image you have shown are not the default color settings in Photoshop rather the settings when using the Convert to Profile.
What would be nice to see are the settings in the Edit > Color Settings Panel. Please provide a screen shot of that panel such as the sample one I have shown below:

Screen Shot 2023-08-12 at 1.43.57 PM.jpg

Depending on which version of PS you use the panels can look a bit different yet very important settings are the RGB Working Space, the Color Management Policies, and especially alll the checkboxes at the bottom of the Color Mangement Policies (this part of the panel may only show in older versions if you click a box for advanced (II think). I personally prefer to use Preserve Embedded Profiles.

With those settings, if the image comes in with the the same color profile as the working RGB (in the above panel sRGB) it will just open the image and keep the sRGB profile. If the image comes in and has a different profile, it will be flagged and you are asked what do you want to do. Please make sure you choose an option with a profile (do not used leave unmanaged).

Based on your choice you will know the profile being used with the image for editing.

If the image comes in and has no profile, you will be flagged to assign a profile or leave unmanaged. Choose assign a profile and choose a common editing profile of your preference (e.g. sRGB, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto RGB). Do not choose the leave unmanaged option.

Upon exporting or saving, there should always be an option to include the ICC profile. Make sure that is checked. I recommend for at least texting purposed to leave the image in the color space in which you were editing

Now read in the image you just saved back into photoshop. If you follow the steps, the initial image should look the same as the one you exported in PS. If not, then we need to see where things we wrong including pilot error.

If they do look the same, the try opening the exported image in your other image viewing application. If it does not view correctly, then either the application is not color managed or the color management settings are set incorrectly in that application.

If you continue to have problems please provide an image of the Color Settings Panel and also attache the exact image before being imported to Photoshop as well as the one you exported out of Photoshop for examination.

I am confident we can get to root cause.

Just some suggestions on how to get to root cause
John Wheeler

Thanks for info.

Problem was in Save for Web dialog (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S) i incidentally unchecked color profile checkbox and images were saved without color profile, i did not know this because my checkbox for Missing Profile in Color Settings were unchecked.

1.png

Last edited:
I also installed color profile for my monitor and made it default in Windows 10, should i now convert images i edit to Dell U2410 color profile before working on them or what's the point of how do i use that Dell U2410 color profile in context of Photoshop?

1.png

Hi @PutinHuilo

Glad you got to root cause of your problem.
Just to let you know, I use a Mac and not a PC so cannot advise you on the Color Management Settings in a Windows machine.

The quick answer is no you should not convert your images to your monitor profile. I will give you my quick summary of why below yet here is a link that goes to some very good tutorials about Color Management that I bet would answer / clarify a lot your questions: https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/color-management-printing.htm

If you system and applications that your are using are all Color Managed, they will handle having the colors displayed / printed properly.

So I will give you an analogy that works for me yet may not work for you (in which case go read the link(s) for the tutorials on Color Management).

There are many color space (profiles) with one of the primary differences are the total color gamut or range of saturation of colors they support.
Think of these color spaces as their own language. So your monitor color space, printer color space, and editing color space are all different languages and to the first order won't understand each other without help. Note that the most common editing spaces are sRGB, Adobe RGB, Display P3, and ProPhoto RGB)

So what is needed when going from one color space to another color space you need a universal language translator (that is what Color Management does). To make this work, this universal translator needs a superset language of all other possible languages and not dependent on any particular device. There are a couple superset languages that meet this need yet the one most common is the Lab Color space. It can represent all the colors the eye can see and is an an absolute color space (does not change from device to device)

So what color management does from your image in PS is to convert the color data numbers of you Editing Color Space your are using to Lab (superset color space), and then from Lab to the desired device color space e.g. your monitor, or printer.

This allows each color space to be translated to another color space.

What is critical when doing the conversion with the Universal Translator (Color Management) is that the Universal Translator needs to know the Color Space/Profile of the incoming image (e.g. by having the color profile embedded in the image) and it must also know the color space of the destination device to know which language to translate from and to. If that incoming and outgoing color profile is not specificed then a default color profile which certainly could be a wrong guess.

So you embed the editing color space in the image, and the Universal Translator will query the system for the color profile with the monitor. In the case of printing, some printers can read the color profile in the image and convert to the printers color space. Some printers will just assume that the incoming image is in sRGB if it is not embedded. Another options is to have a color profile for the printer and in PS's printer module, have PS manage colors and give the color profile of the printer. In that case one needs to make sure the printer has its color management turned off.

As an additional note on printer color profiles, one needs a specific profile based on the combination of printer (the ink it uses) as well as the paper in use. Each will have a different profile. Many companies that sell photo paper will provide a color profile to use with each of their papers for a number of printers.

With the specified color space be it for a monitor or a printer/paper combination, the Universal Translator (Color Management) will translate from your editing space to the target end device color space.

There are other areas of Color Management that I am not covering e.g.:
- when the image color space is larger than the destination color space there can be colors that cannot be represented in the destination device. Those out of gamut colors have to be mapped into an existing color in the destination color space (this has to do with rendering intent)
- It is helpful if you can preview how the image will appear in the desitnation space such as a printer. That is done with Color Proofing function in PS

So bottom line:
- use a standard editing space
- Always embed your editing color space
- Make sure your system has access to your monitor color profile for viewing and that you can provide a printer/paper color profile when printing.

Hope this helps and if not, just go to the link I provided above.
John Wheeler

Back