What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS4 keeps crashing!

Most of these problems are often related to an outdated graphics driver or the wrong removal of the old driver.

The most reliable way to remove the old driver is with a program like drivercleaner.net:

Solve Driver Problems, Fix Crashes - Driver Cleaner

Success guaranteed and I talk from years of experience with this software. Note that I have no relationship with that company.

PS CS4 keeps crashing on me as well...

As a first time poster and noob to the board I was gonna start a new thread as it seems after reading here that my problem isn't answered, but I thought I'd give it a shot.
I have a brand new system and it has been running for only a few months. As of Friday PS decided to start shutting down after a few seconds of being on. I have spent hours on hold only to get help from people that can't seem to help me. I spoke with three guy from India with Adobe's tech and two EVGA tech guys. They were all completely useless except for the second EVGA guy and in the end he concluded it was a PS issue. I ran OCCT and passed everything. I have uninstalled/installed PS and my NVIDIA drivers several times. Flash and Illustrator work just fine. I spend most of my daytime hours on those two then import to PS for color and final export.

I'm running:
Vista 64
Intel Core i7-920 Quad-Core 2.66GHz
GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit
6GB RAM
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

My system should have no problems with openGL being on or off, but for the sake of this issue it has been since disabled. I put the motherboard up because I saw somewhere about the ASUS gaming issue, but I don't have any games installed onto this system yet. I got the latest drivers from NVIDIA. They were actually just released last week, but it still crashed. The crashes do not give me any info. They just say Photoshop is shutting down and then I have to click a tab in the window that only allows me to close PS. It will once maybe every 10 crashes write an error log and says it will send it to Adobe. As you can imagine I'm quite frustrated and I'm almost ready to give up all together. Anyone?

I spoke with three guy from India with Adobe's tech and two EVGA tech guys. They were all completely useless except for the second EVGA guy and in the end he concluded it was a PS issue.

I work in the IT for many, many years now and I can guarantee you that it's impossible to claim by just a phone conversation that it's in this case a PS issue, obviously the guy clearly wanted to get rid of you.

Since you use OCCT, does that also mean that your system is overclocked?

Thanks for the response. No it is not overclocked and he had me use drivercleaner before reinstalling the driver. It only crashes with PS so far, no other programs. I think he had me do the OCCT tests just to rule out any issues the card might be having, but like I said it passed all and has a clean install of the latest drivers. I'm new to having a 64 bit OS. How does PS use a 64 system differently than a 32? Could that be a factor somehow?

People often make the conclusion that if program X crashes and no other application, that it must be the fault of that application; they are wrong.

Take for example CS2; for some people the shortcuts didn't work. It turned out that it was a driver issue with logitech keyboards. That's why it's so important to not just update the video drivers, but ALL drivers plus your bios!

I think he had me do the OCCT tests just to rule out any issues the card might be having

Tests like that are never accurate, nor will they test everything.

I'm new to having a 64 bit OS. How does PS use a 64 system differently than a 32? Could that be a factor somehow?

Trust me, it’s NO factor at all.

I spoke with three guy from India with Adobe's tech and two EVGA tech guys. They were all completely useless

What else did you expect? That someone with extremely good troubleshooting skills would take the most terrible job in the world, which is tech support by phone? :D

And even if any of them would be an excellent technician, do you really think it’s so easy to solve crash issues over the phone? I don't think you understand how many things could be causing these kind of crashes...

thanks. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I'm beyond desperate here. Day 5 without photoshop and my deadline has passed.

deactivate your copy reinstall on another computer.

thanks. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I'm beyond desperate here. Day 5 without photoshop and my deadline has passed.

If you’re so desperate, then why do you continue to assume that it’s a Photoshop issue and that there is nothing wrong with your system and ignore any advice that a professional like me gives, but also Chris Cox who is part of the actual Photoshop development team?
Stubbornness is not getting you anywhere boy... :rolleyes:

If you’re so desperate, then why do you continue to assume that it’s a Photoshop issue and that there is nothing wrong with your system and ignore any advice that a professional like me gives, but also Chris Cox who is part of the actual Photoshop development team?
Stubbornness is not getting you anywhere boy... :rolleyes:

So let's say you have done all that JLBerry has asked, do you still have the problem? if so do you still need help, have you asked Photoshop for the help?

I called 6 times, talked to them twice and once was cut off. Thanks AT&T. I hung up after being on hold for more than 45 minutes three other times. The first guy had no idea what I was talking about and told me to call EVGA. The other guy I talked to, from what I could understand, said I had more than one driver for my graphics card. This is simply not the case. Without any suggestions I have no way of telling where this problem is coming from. My friend is away on vacation but when he's back I'll have him check it out. As vague this crash may seem, I was hoping someone here may have had similar issues or maybe there is a known issue that causes this to happen.

still happening and noticed that about an hour after I closed it PS was still using 550,000 k in the task manager. It's not shutting down entirely and the memory seems to be holding onto it for some reason. I've been using different files too. This is a brand new system with nothing on it but a wacom tablet and the drivers needed for the card. Installing some games on Steam to rule out the GPU.

3 steps forward 2 steps back

Hey everyone, I have been working Photoshop all day today with multiple crashes in CS4.
My file size is on the large size 6-7GB. I do a lot of work for the entertainment industry and the require very large files. Some of the crashes were just when the app. disappeared without any error and generated a log. But most of the crashes happened when I was trying to save my file after 30min of work.
Mac 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Snow Leopard
10 GB RAM (I know CS4 can only access 3GB)
Isolated / solely allocated 10,000 rpm Raptor 300GB Scratch disc.
So far I have zapped the P-RAM, re-formatted the scratch disc, re-seated the RAM, and removed the side cover.
Some of the errors I was getting included Photoshop letting me know I did not have enough RAM so it would not save my file, just lock up. The majority of the logs were reading Kern_Protection_Failure.
I am going to look into my Graphics Driver to see if I can update it like suggested in the post earlier. I have yet to delete the preferences only because I dont want to set everything up again (PITA)
Having the cover off almost seem to help for a bit, maybe more air flow? But, it still crashed one time with it off.
Sorry if this is a little scrambled, my brain is on overload. lol.
Any thought would be most appreciated.
-Jeff

It looks to me as though you answered your own question
"Photoshop letting me know I did not have enough RAM"
Try quitting other apps first thought that comes to my mind

Yep I tried that too. Only thing running is the Finder and Photoshop CS4

Im researching right now and it appears the ATI Radeon HD 2600 (stock video card) is not very popular with Snow Leopard or OpenGL in CS4.

Thanks

Re: Photoshop CS4 AND CS5 keeps crashing AFTER 10 MINUTES OF OPERATION

Thank you, thank you.:naughty: It worked.
What was happening:
Photoshop cs4 and cs5 would crash after about 10 minutes after being opened. No error message was given.
After reading this forum- it worked. What I did-->(my graphic card is GeForce6600, see end for more exact details)

1. I purchased what JLBerry recommend-- If figured it was $10.00 bucks it could not hurt, unless there was a virus. It legit software.
  2. 2nd I went and downloaded new display driver from Nvidia
  3. 3rd Ran the software. Actually, under help at the bottom are the step you need to take. I didn't see them until after I ran the program, but it still worked.
  4. Uninstalled it from control panel.
  5. restarted. screen resolution drops to something like 640x480 on start-up.
  6. Ran the nvida driver update software.
  7. restarted.
  8. Screen started back in hi res.
  9. Loaded photoshop cs5
  10. It been running for 3 hours now with no crashes. What a relief. This was a really suckie error.
  11. Hope this help someone, because I feel your pain.
GeForce 6600
GPU NV43
Device ID 10DE-0141
Revision A3
Subvendor ASUStek Computer Inc (1043)
Current Performance Level Level 1
Current GPU Clock 300 MHz
Current Memory Clock 500 MHz
Technology 110 nm
Die Size 150 nmІ
Transistors 143 M
Release Date 2004
DirectX Support 9.0c
DirectX Shader Model 3.0
OpenGL Support 2.0
Bus Interface PCI Express x16
GPU Clock 300 MHz
Memory Clock 500 MHz
Driver nv4_disp.dll
Driver version 6.14.12.6658
ForceWare version 266.58
BIOS Version 5.43.02.61.00
ROPs 4
Shaders Vertex 8/Pixel 8
Memory Type DDR2
Memory 256 MB
Bus Width 128 Bit
Pixel Fillrate 1.2 GPixels/s
Texture Fillrate 2.4 GTexels/s
Bandwidth 16.0 GB/s

Re: Same Problem

This might not be the answer to your problem, but I found that buying a "gameing" computer, all of the graphics software that I throw at it works great. I have an IBuypower, but I see alot of gaming computers pretty cheap on craigslist with decent graphics cards.

Back