What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop displaying "Out of Memory" popup

I took a look at the three links. Made some changes. I'll reboot and see...

The topic about “not enough memory” mostly recommends
Increasing memory usage – I’ve had PS set anywhere from 65% to 96%. Makes no difference.
Updated program – have both PS 2021 and 2022 running. Both do the same thing.
I disabled a number of background apps that aren’t critical. Nothing in the background I’ve seen uses enough memory to be an issue – the BIG users are LR and PS, and whatever browser is open may eat a bit less than a GB… There may be things wrong in the background, but I don’t think their memory usage is huge…

The only thing I didn’t understand was the instruction to OverridePhysicalMemoryMB and assign its value to 2400, which is 9216 in decimal… The OTHER article said to set the registry to the actual value of memory in the system (8000) or 32768 dec. Which should it be?

As far as scratch disks… Mine are set to use empty space on a couple partitions of non-O/S SSD. Everything is set to NTFS.

Hi @GracieAllen
I do believe I am about at my limit for help with a Windows system (last I seriously used Windows was in 2008 when I moved to Macs).
I do not understand the various instructions on how to set the OverridePhysicalMemoryMB as I don't know the specifics of how that impacts the OS operation.
Saying much more about that topic would probably only degrade into why I moved to Macs which is not helpful for this conversation. Since 2008 I have not had to mess with the Mac OS in any fashion for any reason.
I don't know where to guide you for an expert that actually knows how all these settings truly work and how they interact with various applications.

1) Best would be to have a Windows System / Photoshop Application expert to do the debugging for you. Actually contacting a tech person at Adobe to help stop through getting to root cause. If you get a high enough level expert, it can take some time yet very well may solve the problem.

There is a go it alone process that is OS independent yet likely more time consuming that directly engaging an expert.

2) That is using a standard debugging technique that is OS independent often called "Divide and Conquer." Its similar to a binary search (determine condtion where it works and condition where it does not work). And then take the narrower area where it fails and divide in half again with another experiment. It would eventually narrow it down to a more specific area that is the source of the problem.

I suggested some steps in that process such as
- Try on Mac system vs Windows system
- Find a Windows system in which it works and obviously it does not work on yours - what is the difference between those two systems e.g. OS version, hardware differences, software differences. Along those lines I also suggested running in Safe Mode. If it works in Safe mode yet not normal mode then that helps narrow things down again.

That is the approach that I have used successfully in the past when the problem seemed unmanageable. That divide and conquer approach help me find out root cause on quite a few occasions though it was rather tedious. I tracked down a root cause once to Norton anti- virus. I have also tracked down to a Google Chrome issue once. I have tracked down problems to "helper programs" as well.

That is also an effort that is beyond the scope of what I could do via back and forth postings. Its not always easy for techs using remote control of another computer.

So unless you can find someone that by chance has seen this exact problem before with a known solution. One of the above two steps is what I would recommend.

Wish I could have been of more help yet feel confident with my two final suggestions above.

If you do find a solution by any means, it would be great if you share the final issues/solution as this is not a simple problem.

John Wheeler

Thanks for all the help. It was a lot more useful than ANYTHING I got from the "official" Adobe forum, which is where I'd usually go for one of those Windows/Adobe experts...

System is working pretty well, so I'll stay with it and see if Adobe decided there's a problem at some point.

You're welcome @GracieAllen and if you discover any resolution over time, please post what you find out back on this forum. Other Windows users no doubt could come across a similar issue
John Wheeler

Back