What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop does not seem to be working?

WesternGuy

Photoshop gives me the following error in a small message box: "Could not complete your request because of program error."
Following this, I cannot shut PS down, or anything else. The only way to shut it down is to invoke the Task Manager <CTRL><ALT><DELETE> and shut PS down that way.
I am running Photoshop as part of Adobe's Creative Cloud that includes Lightroom as well (it works okay). I can open an image (.CR2) in Lightroom, but when I try to pass it to PS, I get the same message. When I opne a Raw image in Adobe Camera Raw, everything works until I try and open the image in PS. I then get that message, noted previously.

I am going to assume that I have to reinstall Photoshop, but I am totally unclear as to how to do that within the Creative Cloud. Can I install only PS, or do I have to install all the components of CC that I am using?

I am running Windows 10 20H2 and Photoshop version 22.4.1 20210518.r.211 7b18b4f x64

Any insight as to a way out of this situation, will be appreciated. Thanks.

WesternGuy

JeffK

Guru
Seems to be a common complaint from what I'm reading. Here's some tips from Adobe:

These tips are mostly for Mac users, but take a look:

If you decide to do a complete reinstall - click on your cloud button on the desktop menu bar looks like small figure 8 on it's side:
1622403502212.png
or click on your windows icon in bottom left, and click on Adobe Creative Cloud:
1622403805220.png
That'll open a list of your creative cloud apps, updates, and versions. If versions don't show up, go to the 3 dots to the right of Open, and click on them
Then click on other versions:
1622404114034.png

Once you open Other versions, you'll see your installed version and previous versions you can roll back to:

1622404271208.png

As you can see on above, I'm still on version 22.2 since I was having problems with upgrades and didn't feel like fussing right now.

From this cloud destination, you can uninstall, install, and upgrade. I would use a reinstall as a last resort if you've tried all other solutions and it didn't work. To be safe, I'd roll back to the previous version you have presently or go back further if you want.

Hope this helps.

- Jeff

JeffK

Guru
PS - If you still have inssues, before you reinstall;, get in touch with Adobe.
Sign into your account, click on Support-Contact Us. A chat window will open.
I recently had some issues with the application freezing, got in touch, and they helped solve the issue remotely.
It can be fixed - just need some patience and time. :cheesygrin:
- Jeff

WesternGuy

Jeff, thank you for the very detailed reply. It is greatly appreciated. I was able to follow your instructions and rolled back to the previous version of Photoshop. I am happy to say that everything seems to be working now. I kept your instructions in a Word document in case I have any problems with Photoshop in the future. Again, thank you very much for your help with this.

WesternGuy

JeffK

Guru
Jeff, thank you for the very detailed reply. It is greatly appreciated. I was able to follow your instructions and rolled back to the previous version of Photoshop. I am happy to say that everything seems to be working now. I kept your instructions in a Word document in case I have any problems with Photoshop in the future. Again, thank you very much for your help with this.

WesternGuy
You're very welcome and I'm glad it worked out. Glitches happen - that's part of the baggage of technology. But patience and determination still rule! 🙂
- Jeff