What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Effects Help

Labec

I'm try to recreate this image attached below, its for the yearbook at my school. We want to look like a ripped brushed steel. I'm wondering what effects and such to recreate this image how it looks here.

The theme is "exploding from the seams" and its suppost to look like the steel has curled over cause it exploded :perfect:

If anyone could help me out, it would be appreciated!!

Thanks, Tony

There are some good brushed steel tuts for the background, and if there was ever a good use for the dreaded "page curl" effect, you've got it with this idea! Just take your time to get the directions you want. I'd do the curls as a separate document, so you can rotate them to the desired angles...

Looks like fun, enjoy! 8}

Make this kind of torn material with a sheet of paper, the take a pic of it and apply a steel-like material to it?

I made it on paper and took the picture, the question is, how to I apply the brushed steel to the image, using lighting and such?

When i texture overlay I loose the curls

Make a brushed metal image and overlay it onto your paper image with soft light/overlay/multiply mode

You beat me to it...

Yet, I added some things, taking the liberty to start from your image. (hope you don't mind...):

1/ Open the channels palette, and copy the Red channel. Apply the Highpass filter to it at a low setting. Then use levels to give a good contrast. You need a dark image with bright edges.
2/ Select it, and click on the composite channel. Go back to layers.
3/ Copy from clipboard, and paste unto new layer.
4/ set your blend mode to get good contrast in edges. (try them out, it'll show clearly which one to use)
5/ use some blur on the metal, and some odge at low settings
6/ Filter>liquify and make that left side a bit dizzy.

This is a very quick one that needs a lot of enhancing, but the principle is there:

Hi Labec... welcome to the forum! :)

Erik has shown you a great technique. :perfect:

Good Luck with your project!

Work In Progress

So I didnt have a chance to reply. Great help guys, thanks alot...

I'ma take some pictures of the book when its published. Here is a couple screenshots from last week.

~Tony

The white area above is being filled with a college of student life pictures.

Nice job with the effect thus far, Labec! :perfect:

I look forward to seeing your finished work! :)

Back