What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop, fonts keep on cycling within just a set of 6 fonts when i preview text

plainman007

Hi Guys,

Lets say i have some text on my file that im working on. When i create a text, then in the paragraph/text properties panel when i choose the text font and then use the down arrow to sfan thru the fonts and preview whcih font looks suitable for the design im working on, a strange thing is that it wont move beyond say 10 fonts and keeps cycling only within A fonts and doesnt want to move onto B fonts and so on.

When i hold the down arrow key on my keyboard continuously then it passes thru all fonts a,b,c and so on, but extremely fast and doesnt preview on my working file/workspace. If i release the down key. Then again it defaults back to the A fonst from where i stopped and starts cycling within only A as before. Huge headache to preview how different fonts look on my design.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi PMan,

PMan said:
and then use the down arrow to sfan (scan) thru the fonts and preview whcih font looks suitable for the design im working on,

No need to use the up or down arrow keys to scan the available fonts, your mouse cursor will highlight the fonts as it passes over the list as well advance the list up or down when the cursor contacts the top or bottom of the list.

PMan said:
When i hold the down arrow key on my keyboard continuously then it passes thru all fonts a,b,c and so on, but extremely fast and doesnt preview on my working file/workspace. If i release the down key.

Don't use the arrow keys, use the mouse cursor. The only font that will Preview on or in your workspace is one that is selected, ticked, or checked and the text must be highlighted (using mouse cursor or double clicking the text layer thumbnail)

PMan said:
Then again it defaults back to the A fonst from where i stopped and starts cycling within only A as before.

Whenever the drop down list is selected, it will automatically appear on the current text you have chosen, ticked, or checked. If you use the down arrow key, by default the highlight will go to the top of the list. Use your mouse cursor.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hi Sam,

Thanks for repying.

I do get the drop down list as you mentioned. I also get the ability to highlight the font and select from this list. The list also shows a preview of the fonts right next to each font name. Albiet a little small.

But what i want is to be able to see how each font looks in my poster design. With over 1500 fonts thats diiificult to keep hitting a drop down list and picking manually for each font.

So by selecting the text layer in the poster/design then selecting the font list name and pressing down keys, the font updates each time and shows how the font looks in the poster itself. This enables us to pick the most apt font that suits the design.

On a side note, sometimes this works correctly. But with some text layers it cycles only within fonts starting with "A".

Thanks

Got it! Now that I'm following you. Highlight the text in the menu bar.

SS02.png

And press the up or down arrow. The different text will show up in your document.

Last edited:
Works when you use this Character Panel as well!

I'm having trouble editing my posts!!!!

Attachments

• SS03.png
    SS03.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Hi Sam,

Sorry i forgot to inform you that im on Win XP Pro. Not a mac. So im assuming i should hold CTRL while i press the down arrow ?

On a side note, how did you get that dark grey look to your photoshop. Does photoshop have a setting for this or is it your desktop theme thats doing this ? Mine has that awful white bright look thats sore to the eyes after a few hours of working. All my other softwares take on that dark look since my windows theme is set that way.

Thanks

Ok, let me get straight here! (I've been trying to edit my posts!)

In my last two posts I thought I was describing what you were talking about..............right! You were you using this method to scroll through the font list?

Yes but except i wasnt holding the CTRL key. Thats why im asking you if i should hold CTRL while pressing the UP & DOWN buttons to move thru the fonts and preview the changes live in my open document as the fonts change in the Character panel.

Sorry for the confusion......On my mac all I have to do is highlight the text name in the "text window" of either the menu bar or the Character Panel and then use the arrow keys to scroll through the text, the text will change in the working document so you ca observe the changes!

I'm running CS6 and that's one of several workspace themes I can choose!

Again sorry for the confusion, I was trying to edit the "command key" comment out of my posts and it was not cooperating with me!

What I'm trying to do is use the exact same technique you describe to see if I can reproduce the problem. At no fault of your own, I was not understanding your first post. On your second post I had the ah ha moment!

So now I will see about your issue.

Still working on this! What version of Photoshop are you running?

PMan,

I really tried, but the bad news is that I could not reproduce the problem you were having at all!

I did do an extensive internet search on the issue and I found several threads that discussed this exact same problem your having. None of which offered any explanation on how to fix the problem and that the problem seemed to be limited to the earlier versions of Photoshop and Illustrator operating on Windows machines.

One thread I found in the Adobe forums claimed that the issue was due to some formatting anomalies that occurred in certain font files both downloaded and native system fonts. It seemed that most had to manually skip over the font file that caused the scrolling process (with arrow keys) to stop, by using the drop down menu or, they chose to delete that font file altogether so it would not interrupt scrolling.

The one thing I did discover is that this Photoshop font/text scrolling feature was only available to Widows versions of Ps until CS6 came out, when it became available to Mac users as well. (don't know if that's true or not)

Sorry!

Dear Sam,

Thank you very much for putting os much effort to try and help.

Im using photoshop CS4 on a Win XP Pro platform.

Im having this and one other anomaly, in that sometimes after a text layer is created, if i just move that text layer, lines like a bar code start appearing at certain corners. Its not any hidden layes or anything. But rather digital stripes. I have to double click into the text (going into text edit mode) and then exit and the stripes will disappear.

Thanks

Your very welcome and I'm sorry I could not come up with a solution.
Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Back