What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop help with making a photo lighter? how can i make this better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, please can anyone help me make my photo a bit lighter, so that both our faces are visible? I think the background might be too light and possibly will have to be made a little darker? i'm unsure, just what do you think? thanks

Attachments

• ben.jpg
    ben.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 27
It's not a very good picture, I did a quick edit with an action called "fill flash" and then used the burn tool to darken the left side of the face that was blown out.
Maybe someone else can do it better

ben.jpg

I suggest adding a brightness/contrast adjustment layer, dialing it up so you can see the detail in your faces, then brush the layer mask with black on the windows.

Agent

There are many different techniques one can use to improve photos like this. They range from simple ones that take only a few seconds to do (eg, move a brightness slider) all the way up to time-consuming, labor-intensive approaches (eg, manually paint over areas that need to be darkened or lightened).

You won't like the easy approaches because they almost always have unintended side effects (eg, everything is brightened including things that shouldn't be), and, speaking for myself, I don't like the latter because I have absolutely no incentive to spend lots of my own time trying to repair a snapshot whose problems are caused by the lack of even just a tiny bit of thought when taking the photo (eg, move around a bit so the faces aren't in shadow in front of a bright window, clean the lens on your camera, etc.).

Even worse, this photo has already been edited with lunapic, and is too small for some techniques to be effective. If you told us something like, "minutes after this photo was taken, both guys were killed by a bomb, and this was the last photo ever taken of them", I probably would be a lot more willing to donate more of my time to it, but, as it is, it's just one of thousands of low quality photos produced every second in every town in the world.

That being said, here's an intermediate approach and is about all the time I can devote to something like this. Maybe someone else will want to help you out more extensively.

Sorry,

Tom

Attachments

• ben-tjm01-acr-ps01a-01.jpg
    ben-tjm01-acr-ps01a-01.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back