What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop JPG files size increased suddenly

Master

Hi ...

I am using Photoshop CC 2015 Version on Windows 7.

I used to work daily on a Demo.psd file 1000*562 (72 resolution) every image I save usually comes around 800 KB with max 12 quality, Yetserday I saved a demo.jpg with size 840 KB .

When I oped same psd file toady and saved the same image which I saved yesterday but now jpg file saved with increased size to 1.9 MB ( even with quality set to 1 it is saving max of 1.5 MB ), So I taught of a issue with psd file and created entirely new document with same details 1000*562 (72 resolution) but now surprisingly file jpg file saved with 350 KB.

So I dont know where things went wrong with old psd file I am having jpg files with huge size and with new psd file, jpg files saving with low size ...no matter what I do I am not able to get the actual size, I checked this with multiple images not single one is matching the size either high or low.

Note: I dont want save my files with save as web (in Export Options) and I also dont want to save my file as png and save it back to jpg.

It would be great help it is resolved

Thanks in Advance.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @Master
The size of the JPEG depends on a number of factors some of which you are no doubt aware and some maybe not.
Most common
- pixels dimensions
- compression setting

Less known
- the amount of compression depends on the content of the image. The more detail and more sharpness of the image the larger the file will be for a given pixels size and compression setting
- Metadata - there is extra information stored in the image depending on your settings. That can include ICC profile, clipping masks, camera information, dates, etc etc.

The save for web option gives more control and allows one to save in many formats (not just PNG). It also gives you control over what metadata is saved with the file and whether the ICC profile is saved with the image.

If you need more specifics, sharing the exact file with which you have issues for examination could be done.
John Wheeler

JeffK

Guru
Less known
- the amount of compression depends on the content of the image. The more detail and more sharpness of the image the larger the file will be for a given pixels size and compression setting
John Wheeler

I'm with you on this one, John. I've also noticed that even when working on the same file, the more editing I add, the larger the saved file size grows....
- Jeff

Master

Hi @Master
The size of the JPEG depends on a number of factors some of which you are no doubt aware and some maybe not.
Most common
- pixels dimensions
- compression setting

Less known
- Metadata - there is extra information stored in the image depending on your settings. That can include ICC profile, clipping masks, camera information, dates, etc etc.

The save for web option gives more control and allows one to save in many formats (not just PNG). It also gives you control over what metadata is saved with the file and whether the ICC profile is saved with the image.

If you need more specifics, sharing the exact file with which you have issues for examination could be done.
John Wheeler
Hi John ..

Thanks actually I have not changed any parameters like color grading or anything just same image but when I try to save today I having this issue...this issue is only for these psd files

I am adding the two psd files here which I need to save as JPG

demo_Old.psd JPG file 1.5 MB (this is the original file I was using for months and yesterday the same image got saved with 700 KB which is my expected usual size)
demo_New.psd JPG file 340 KB (this entirely created new psd thinking old one is issue but no use)

Also please help on how to remove the meta data.

hoping that it will be solved

Note: Other PSD files which I used to work for JPG images is working fine (those are entirely different dimensions like(1000*1426) ..only above file is problem it seems

Attachments

• Demo_New.psd
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
  • Demo_Old.psd
    5.3 MB · Views: 6

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @Master

I did find a difference between the files yet the most sure way of removing the metadata is to use the Save for Web with the option to save to Metadata set to none as shown in image below.
In theory, you also should be able to do this (with many more pushups) through the File > File Info command and importing and apply the correct template. I tried this and though it would work yet was not successful with several tries

I did not track down all the differences between the two files yet metadata is one and the Channels Panel has the a work Path set (though not sure why that would make any difference).
Is there a reason no to used the export for Web functionality?

John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 10.01.06 AM.png

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @Master
I also wanted to add this Adobe Community discussion link.
The links in the answer give a pretty good description of metadata bloat if you really want to get into the details. Knowing how to eliminate the bloat (sometimes with third party tools) might be another path for you to consider yet the quickest and easiest is the Save for Web in my opinion
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/jpegs-saving-too-large/td-p/10583783

Hope the information is of help
John Wheeler

thebestcpu

Guru
I also went back and looked at bug fixes and there was an excessive metatdata bug. Must have been there for some time as it was fixed in
Update – January 2019:
Fixed issues in Photoshop CC, January 2019 (version 20.0.2) release: The raw metadata for some Photoshop files has excessive number of entries of 'photoshop:DocumentAncestors’

FYI
John Wheeler

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @Master
If you do not want to upgrade to the 2019 version, here is the Adobe link that talks about the problem and a link to a script to clear out the metadata that causes the problem (I did not try to follow the link to verify).
So I think this gives you all options to consider the best path for you. Was interesting for me too as I had not heard of this metadata bloat bug before.
John Wheeler

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/file-info-freezes-cannot-display-raw-metadata.html

Master

Hi @thebestcpu

Thanks for the articles and suggestions ..I tried everything but not working either end up high or low sizes I am not getting the usually size of 700 KB , I even tried with save for web still low size ...no matter what I do i am not getting my usually 700 KB files

I dont have issue with higher sizes but as per the requirement the images size should come between 700 to 900 KB only and as per the dimensions, color gradings and other patters it always falls in that range in case if it comes higher the reduced the quality for 12 to 10 or 11 then it fits again .

I taught using image compression softwares to reduce the file sizes ...but I shouldn't do that .I even tried re installing Photoshop but no use

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @Master
I will give you one thing to try before trying to debug further.
Yet before that, a couple things as I still have incomplete information.
- Please explain your "requirements" that the image size be exactly between 700 and 900 KB. I have heard of maximum file size yet not minimum file sizes. As long as the quality level is set to the desired level. If I remove all of the metadata from you file and use "Save As" with JPEG format at quality level 12, for this particular image the size is right around 300 K bytes. The only reason it is larger then that is added extra metadata and has nothing to do with image quality (max quality already set).

The extra metadata can come from several sources including the prior mentioned bug.

I don't know why you don't want to use the Save for Web. Quality level 10 in Save for Web is virtually identical to the quality level in Save or Save As JPEG at quality level 12 (unfortunately the quality numbers in Save for Web do not match the same meaning as the quality numbers in Save or Save As).

If for some reason you want to not use Save for Web (I see no downside yet do not know the details of you workflow) then the options I see are
- Use the script in the already provided link to strip the extra metadata from the files
- upgrade to CC 2019 or higher (no cost if you I assume are on subscription)
- Save as PNG 24 via Save for Web with no metadata, read back into Photoshop, then save as JPEG with Save or Save As ( A lot more push-ups yet it works if you insist on not saving JPEGS via Save for Web

In all the above cases once you remove the metadata, that max quality image without metadata for JPEG with Save for Web or using Save or Save As to JPEG will be in the 300K byte range.
The size of a file even without metadata can vary widely even using the exact same quality level. I can create a JPEG file quality level 12 that is 1400 Kbytes and another JPEG image file quality level 12 can by 7 Kbytes. The size is also very very dependent on the image content.

So it is quite possible I do not understand other details for you workflow.

Now as promised, one more thing to try is to reset Photoshop Preferences via info in this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html
And then in preferences, go to History Log and uncheck History
You will still have your history states in your history panel, this will just keep the history information from being saved in you file.

Hope the information I have provided is helpful and I believe I have provided several paths forward to solve the extra metadata issue in your file while using the highest quality JPEG settings.
John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 10.05.44 AM.png

Master

Hi @thebestcpu

Thanks for the detailed explanation...

I think I am looking in working way ...The reason I said I would fall under 700 to 900 KB is, When created the new document form scratch ..nearly 100 images was saved around same size and I considered that for 1000*562 72 Res that should be the ideal size ...When the image went to 300 KB I taught I am loosing the quality because size reduced drastically

Thanks for the script I ran through psd now files saving around 300KB

Also can you please confirm can I use that script to run PSD file which I use for PNG file saving ...or should that script only to be used for JPG related PSD files

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @Master
I am not an expert on scripts and have not tried out the script personally.
From reading the code, it appears that it works on an open file.
That means, it should work with any file that you can open on Photoshop.
The details of how to implement the script are contained in the provided link to that script. The link was provided by Adobe with a warning to use at you own discretion. That means they knew this was a problem, the script helped fixed the problem, yet since the script was supplied by a Photoshop user and not Adobe directly, they did not want to take any responsibility.

There is one more way to eliminate the metadata that I tried out that you might want to consider if your issue is with a small number of files which I have outlined below.

1) Open the problem file in Photoshop.
2) Open up a new empty file in Photoshop of the exact same pixel dimensions and resolution (ppi)
3) Select all the Layers of the Problem file and while holding down the Shift key drag and drop them on to the new file.
By holding the Shift Key down while dragging and dropping the Layers onto the New File that is of the exact same pixel dimensions, it should drop exactly in place with no issue
4) The new file will be identical yet it will have a white background Layer at the bottom which you can delete and if desired convert the new bottom Layer as the Background Layer with Layer > New > Background from Layer
5) By copying the Layers over to the new file, the metadata is not transferred. So when you save this file it should be of the small file.

So there you go --- one more way to solve the metadata problem.
Hope one of the above many options or this last one works well for you
John Wheeler