What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

photoshop performing extremly slow?? help please

Good information there, thanks, I have no problems with PS 5.5 but I do seem to have a little Memeory problem with version 6. So for the time being I just don't use it. stick with 5.5 and everything is fine. i have 6.1 loaded but seldom use it, actually i like 5.5 better

grandad said:
i have also opened windows task manager...
it reads...
TOTALS...
handles 5548
threads 285
processes 24

COMMIT CHARGE (K)
total 643072
limit 5532536
peak 652240 It shows how you ran out of memory

PHYSICAL MEMORY..
total 654832
available 21436 Aren't we asking for problems with only 21.4536 available? Yes!
system cache 45864 Because of that you run out of memory, you also run out of file cache space. Take for example your number (45.864) and compare it with mine (311.724). And I have 512 RAM. Your file cache is about 85% smaller than the one I have! No wonder why your system is slow.

KERNEL MEMORY...
total 38616
paged 15544
non pages 23004

My advice:

Try to localize the problem. In 15 years of troubleshooting at work, if it was when I was a programmer or worked with PC's or mainframes, there has always been priority #1: try to localize the problem! I always tell people not to say "I think", but "I know". And if that means swapping memory chips or checking other programs or reinstalling or whatever, then it has to be done that way. Problems can only be solved if we are willing to do what's on our mind, instead of saying "nah, that's too much work". It's the same when we browse the internet. If we want to find what we are searching for, we try to type arguments that direct us straight to our goal and that's the same with this problem. You have to find out if it's really a problem with memory or Photoshop related. Until now we all keep guessing, but the only one who can try to change the focus is you.

Open some other memory hungry programs and check you task manager again. Get rid off your pref file like someone said earlier and let Photoshop create a new one. Experiment with memory configurations, maybe borrow some other memory to see if that helps. Believe me, you don't need to be a real technician to come a far way in finding solutions.

Good luck

Back