What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Plugins - Camera Raw

robsteeves

I have Photoshop 7.0 and I want Adobe Raw, I down loaded the Camera Raw 3.3 plugin but it doesn't seem to open my Dimage7 Raw files, what gives?

Re: Photoshop Plugins

Where did you get that Camera Raw 3.3 plugin Rob? I have a Dimage also. I'd like to try.

Re: Photoshop Plugins

Photoshop 7 only supported Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) 1.0 (as a pay-for optionnal update) Photoshop CS supported only Camera Raw 2.x (updates available up to 2.4, that supports DNGs) Photoshop CS2 supports Camera Raw 3.x that is very powerful (editing of multiple raw images, etc.) The DNG converter would allow to convert lots of images to the DNG format, that ACR 2.4 can open) The current version is 3.4

ACR can be downloaded on the download section of the Adobe website:
Win: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows
Mac: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Macintosh

You should have upgraded to CS, there was a rebate for the users that bought Camera Raw 1.0

Thanks Pierre I upgraded to CS2 this year (and I'm on auto updates). Question: How does this capability relate to lightroom? Do I bring the photo group into Lightroom first, make adjustments, and then take them to CS2? I'm a bit confused about that. That is what I'm doing now, I can make big files by adj the settings but I'm not sure they would be considered raw. I use a Minolta Dimage Xg (which I love). Maybe I should start by investigating their site to see if this digi has raw capability. What's your opinion?

Lightroom is another application... It can replace Bridge+ACR, if you want. It does use Camera Raw as its internal engine (the version installed on the system has no relation to it). It can treat JPEGs and raw. Lightroom and ACR are made forcorrections of raw images, as meta-data edits. If you need to make other changes, yes, Photoshop is the place!

BTW, the correct location for the Camera Raw plug-in in CS2 is: Win: \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-ins\CS2\File Formats\? There can only be one version installed. This location is needed because Bridge uses ACR to make the thumbnails of the raw images.

Thanks Pierre for the fast reply. If I understand you correctly, I just continue to download digi into lightroom, make the lighting adjustments (I really like this program) and then move them over to PS for further editing? Am I handling raw correctly using that method? \:/

Incidentally, I never used bridge even once seriously, on my computer it opens and runs too slow to bother with.

Back