What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop request: Need help photo shopping a barometer plate

Mycoldshower

My dad recently bought a antique barometer just like the one his parents used te have when he was a kid. He's really excited about it, there's only one problem.The plate on which you could read the the weather status has suffered some damage through the years. I was wondering if someone could photoshop the image, so that he could again use the barometer and enjoy his childhood memories of the old thing:).

He would like the scale to be white again (or maybe a bit sepia-ish?) with all cracks, smudges and spots removed. He would like to keep the original font and scale. There are some piece missing on the sides, is it possible to restore these? The dimensions of the original plate are 12.4 mm high and 8.15 mm wide. He just would like to see the image in it's original state, if that would be possible. He would very much enjoy it.
image barometer.jpg

I think in this case, since no picture is involved it could be easier to pick some fitting font and redo it from scratch.

Before any work goes into it, as the top of the scale and quite a lot of the scale sides are that worn, could you please check that when printed, everything lines up with this. Once we know that everything is in the right place, we can get the image fixed.
View attachment 19719

There is no way of telling where the original image ended on the height and width, so how can you be sure everything will line up when it is put in the barometer. Mycoldshower will have two to choose from then.

maybe dimensions 12.4 cm high and 8.15 cm width is much better

I am quite capable of reading! If you look at the scanned image, the black boarder that has surrounded the bottom and sides of the scale is missing from the top, therefore....... In fact what ever. Sometimes it feels like I'm trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

he spruce

Op was talking of 12.4 mm what is very small , smaller than a stamp
that's why I said maybe it's ment to be 12.4 cm

and your question about the top was also a very good question indeed , ok ?

I used cunning and guess work, but I'm confidant!
I don't think anybody would have done one smaller than the size of a stamp, unless indeed it is a miniature barometer.
I have it in .psd if it needs jiggling about a bit.
View attachment 19727

Dear sprucemagoo1,

thanks for the amazing design! My father was thrilled about it. The dimensions and fonts and overall layout are perfect! A quick look shows that it will fit perfectly inside the barometer.
If I can ask a small question, there are some grammatical errors in the picture (It's written in old Dutch, it was even difficult for us to notice)
"GROOT REGEN" should be "GROOTE REGEN", "TEMPETE" should be "TEMPÊTE" and "VERANDERLUK" should be "VERANDERLIJK" (with I-J instead of U)

I don't know if you can still edit the image?
I'm very thankfull for all the support and work you guys have put into it! It's the first time I try something like this and the results far beyond my exspectations! Again, thanks and greetings!

Dear sprucemagoo1,

my dad said that it was perfect. Thanks again for the effort, it really is flawless. The finished barometer will recive a place of honor in our living room. He was really amazed by the speed of the recovery, and had a lot of questions about it. He wonders in which country it was restored. May I ask what nationality you have? Just for the sake of the story:-D

Friendly regards,

Mycoldshower

I am British, and work as a welder or behind a bar most of the time. Photoshop is something I do as a hobby, as it relaxes me, and I also like helping people in need. I'm glad he likes it.

Back