What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop UI

jovbranko

Hi!

A few few friends of mine and me started talk about PS UI. Few people claimed that PS UI is still complicated too much. But majority said that it is good as it is. Do you find it still complicated and would like it to be simplier or not? For example, should commands like Open, New, Undo, Redo, Print, Flatten Image, etc. be placed at Options Palette? Would you like something as Favorites bar in Dreamweaver where you could place your favorite commands etc.? If there are some profesional photographers, designers or illustrators, I would appriciate ther oppinion too.

Cheers.

Photoshop is a complicated tool... necessarily so. I don't think that it is overly complex though. Everything is fairly well laid out and generally easy enough to find if you bother to take the time to learn the program. It's designed for professional use. If you wanted something that a basically computer illiterate person could use, then there are other options. Heck, adobe even makes a watered down version called Photoshop Elements that simplifies many common operations (although, greatly limits the control you have over them).

$0.02

Welcome to PSG. :)

Thanks. :)

What do you think about InDesign UI compared to PS's? Is it better? More precisely should Options palette be more like Command palette in InDesign? I mean full of commonly used commands.

Cheers.

I think the PS UI is fairly logical, although complicated by necessity. It is a complicated program. I mean it would be impossible to design a piece of software this deep and keep it simple. The Tool grouping is straightforward, and the filters are arranged logically. Commonly used commands would depend entirely on how you use the program, making it more complicated , IMHO.
No opinion about InDesign, as I`ve not used it.

The problem with Adobe is that they can't seem to design one uniform interface. They try to make Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign, ect look the same, but at the same time they develop tools like Bridge and Lightroom.
Take for example blending modes; it's now the year 2007 and you still you can't preview blending modes in Illustrator with the cursor keys like you can in Photoshop. There are tons of annoyances like this.

Back